AR-90 Woofer

ar_pro

according to the AB Tech Services site it can.

http://www.abtechservices.com/arspeakers.html

...probably because that is all AB Tech has to sell. They have become notorious for selling inappropriate replacements that simply fit the old holes. The Nov 1986 parts list in the Library shows the 20004-2 as the 2ax, 5, 8, 12, 14, and LST II replacement woofer, and the 20031-0 for only the AR-90. With that said, I would be more inclined to try a used original 20031-0 in a 2ax or 5 than any generic woofer AB Tech is selling these days. The costly 12 inch replacement now being sold by ABT is laughable, but it looks the part, and fits the hole.

Roy

The AR-90 woofer was very well-built, and gave that system excellent bass extension.

You don't see that many AR-90 woofers around, and I've always wondered how they'd do in the older bookshelf systems.

Having played around with a number of the old AR woofers, the most obvious differences seem to be midrange extension. We know, for example, that sometime in 1974 the ceramic magnet version of the 2ax woofer was introduced. What many folks don't know is that 3 ohms was added to the 2ax midrange dcr to compensate for the new woofer. We also know that the early cloth surround 2ax woofer was used with a smaller inductor. Technically speaking, therefore, none of the (3) 2ax woofer variations are direct replacements for each other. Of course, many people have interchanged them along the way without major complaint. All of the old AR woofers are very compliant, and very similar (unlike their "modern" replacements), and I suspect the AR-90 woofer could be adapted to the 2ax or 5.

Roy

Archived