AR-4x tweeter replacement options?

Slick66

I am trying to restore a pair of AR-4x's, and one of them is producing no sound from the hi-range driver. I have turned the pot back and forth numerous times, but there is no sound at all. I removed the driver from the cabinet by melting the solder attachments.

I'm new to using multimeters, but putting the probes on the tweeter leads seemed to measure no resistance. From what I have read, I think this means the voice coil is "open," and the driver must be replaced.

ANy other ideas? And where would I get a replacement driver?

I am trying to restore a pair of AR-4x's, and one of them is producing no sound from the hi-range driver. I have turned the pot back and forth numerous times, but there is no sound at all. I removed the driver from the cabinet by melting the solder attachments.

I'm new to using multimeters, but putting the probes on the tweeter leads seemed to measure no resistance. From what I have read, I think this means the voice coil is "open," and the driver must be replaced.

ANy other ideas? And where would I get a replacement driver?

Sounds like it's shot.

There is an ebay seller who has new replacements for $25 each. Don't know anything about them but if you go that route you should probably replace the pair. The advantages are they are new, not very expensive and they are a perfect fit. And of course check for others on ebay.

Also put an ad (free) in the WTB section of this forum. Some members have stashes of "stuff" they will sometimes share. I sold a 4x tweeter to a member and he got the other from Zilch, who has converted a number of 4x's to ewaves, so he has (had?) some spare tweets.

Come to think of it, you could convert YOURS to ewaves :blink:

Or if you can get a pair of Avid 100s you can try RoyC's mod, described here:

http://www.classicspeakerpages.net/IP.Boar...?showtopic=4067

Kent

• 2 weeks later...

Archived