KLH Model 22A and 24 Series II woofer compatability?

JohnMac

Greetings all. First time poster here. I have had a nice pair of Model 22As on the shelf for some time awaiting one woofer. I haven't had any luck locating one but did come across a model 24 Series II. Can anyone tell me if they are the same speaker? They look identical but impedence would be my concern. Thanks in advance.

John

Greetings all. First time poster here. I have had a nice pair of Model 22As on the shelf for some time awaiting one woofer. I haven't had any luck locating one but did come across a model 24 Series II. Can anyone tell me if they are the same speaker? They look identical but impedence would be my concern. Thanks in advance.

John

Hi John and Welcome to CSP

Not sure, but take a look at the "Index of Classic KLH Speaker Products" in the Library here:

http://www.classicspeakerpages.net/library/klh/

It's an Excel spreadsheet. There are some errors on this list so don't take it as gospel, but if it is correct regarding the Model 22, they are "Similar to the Model 17" except that they have 4 ohm woofers while the 17 had 8 ohm woofers. The good news is the Model 20 was identical to the 17 except that it had 4 ohm woofers. Also-- Model 20 woofers are much cheaper, used, than 17s. So... by extrapolation, the Model Twenty woofer should be correct for the Model Twenty-Two. But there are a couple of assumptions. One thing I notice is that according to the spreadsheet, the 17, 20 and 22 had 10" woofers while the 24 had an 8".

Let me check my speakers. I have some 17s and some 24s, and I used to have 20s. So maybe we can figure this out.

Kent

OK:

The 17 and 20 definitely have 10" woofers.

The 24 has an 8" woofer.

I think there IS a mistake on the spreadsheet because according to the Service Bulletin in the Library, the 22 has an 8" woofer:

http://www.classicspeakerpages.net/library...bulletin_59.pdf

Is yours 8"? Can you measure the impedance of your good speaker? I'll measure the 24 and report back

Kent

PS Reporting back. The 24/II woofers are apparently 4 ohms, There's an ebay listing now that dives the impedance of the raw speaker as 4.2. I measured my speaker at the RCA jack and got about 4.5 ohms

OK:

The 17 and 20 definitely have 10" woofers.

The 24 has an 8" woofer.

I think there IS a mistake on the spreadsheet because according to the Service Bulletin in the Library, the 22 has an 8" woofer:

http://www.classicspeakerpages.net/library...bulletin_59.pdf

Is yours 8"? Can you measure the impedance of your good speaker? I'll measure the 24 and report back

Kent

PS Reporting back. The 24/II woofers are apparently 4 ohms, There's an ebay listing now that dives the impedance of the raw speaker as 4.2. I measured my speaker at the RCA jack and got about 4.5 ohms

Thanks for the reply. The 22 is 8 ohm according to the label on the cab, but when I test the speaker with a meter it reads about 4 ohms. Apparently this method of testing is not accurate anyway. We are testing resistance and not actual impedence. Confusing to me.

Duh--read the label. What a dope :lol:

Here it is. 8 ohms. Looks like the 24 may do, as you suspected

A pair of 22a woofers sold recently on ebay (cheap) and there are several 24 woofers for sale now. Looking at the photos, especially the backs, the 22a and 24 sure "look" alike. And both cabinets are marked 8 ohms. Sounds like it could work. Plan B would be to watch for a pair of KLH 8" woffers. Then I guess you'd be sure of a match.

Kent

post-101828-1266263748.jpg

Duh--read the label. What a dope ;)

Here it is. 8 ohms. Looks like the 24 may do, as you suspected

A pair of 22a woofers sold recently on ebay (cheap) and there are several 24 woofers for sale now. Looking at the photos, especially the backs, the 22a and 24 sure "look" alike. And both cabinets are marked 8 ohms. Sounds like it could work. Plan B would be to watch for a pair of KLH 8" woffers. Then I guess you'd be sure of a match.

Kent

Cool. That picture is all the proof that I need. I'll bid on the 24 that's on the Bay.

Archived