AR5 Woofer/ tweeter trouble

sidecar

Hy all,

I'm starting a deep restore and repair on beautiful pair of AR5 made in 1973, as shown on signed paper flags on the rear of chassis. At the moment I'm checking the efficiency of items: woofers must be refoamed, caps are in good shape and value, ( but i have a lot of probelms for measuring ESR)... midrange works and tweeter too. An hard job wait for me to restore corroded L-Pads.

My question: on woofer is stamped (561 7947) and on tw ( 753 7543), no numbers on mid.

There are no similar PN classified on site files.

Does anybody help me? Reading posts and pictures ( beautiful appendix: Restoring the AR3A) i've matched images with

my items..but number referencies doesn't match.

If intersted, in the future I will send pictures of my job pre and post restore.

Tks All

Hy all,

I'm starting a deep restore and repair on beautiful pair of AR5 made in 1973, as shown on signed paper flags on the rear of chassis. At the moment I'm checking the efficiency of items: woofers must be refoamed, caps are in good shape and value, ( but i have a lot of probelms for measuring ESR)... midrange works and tweeter too. An hard job wait for me to restore corroded L-Pads.

My question: on woofer is stamped (561 7947) and on tw ( 753 7543), no numbers on mid.

Does anybody help me? Reading posts and pictures ( beautiful appendix: Restoring the AR3A) i've matched images with

my items..but number referencies doesn't match.

If intersted, in the future I will send pictures of my job pre and post restore.

Tks All

Would love to see some pictures of your project. The AR 5 is a great speaker and well worth your efforts. If your pots (they aren't l-pads unless there's a euro version I'm not familiar with) are shot you can use readily available 8 OHM L-Pads with 25W resistors as per the 3a resto guide. Crossover is same as 3a.

Here's a picture of mine. My tweeters were bad so I had to replace with Q1R's. And I mounted the resistors on under the tweeter on outside of cab.

IMGP3962.jpg

Does anybody help me?

These numbers are not part numbers but production numbers telling the week and year of production: 561 7947 is made in week 47 in 1979. Partnumber for the AR-5 woofer is 200004-3 (or 1200004-3).

BRgds Klaus

These numbers are not part numbers but production numbers telling the week and year of production: 561 7947 is made in week 47 in 1979. Partnumber for the AR-5 woofer is 200004-3 (or 1200004-3).

BRgds Klaus

Hy All,

Starting my job on AR5 and, as promised, i'm upload post with some picture at the beginning of the work. Various items had to be repaired as pots, wf suspensions, tw terminals and other items as you can see. One question: it is a good idea to shield external body of pots with tape?

I think that many other questions will arises... :D

Keepin' this opportunity for sending my treasure : AR10P ! :)

Brgds

• 2 weeks later...

Good luck with your restoration. I have a pair of AR-5's that someone else restored, but I still want to replace the old caps and install new attenuators. I recently restored some AR-6 speakers, using a cap from PartsConnection and JVB attenuators (switched resistors). The sound is great, and no corrosion to deal with.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi

I finally finished the job! Short will send photos.Only one of the four pots does not have a proper operation, but since it happens only at the lower end I think not to replace. Great satisfaction to have been able to save high domes where the thin thread of connection was interrupted.I have trouble finding 4uF caps but reinstalling the old ones I have seen at least the actual efficiency. two questions:

1) You advise me the total replacement of caps or not?In this regard I was able to control the ESR and only for 4uF it was about 0,1 Ohm while for others the ESR was about 0,005 Ohm.

2)you advise me to reuse the old stuffing or not?

Tanks !

Claudio

1) You advise me the total replacement of caps or not?In this regard I was able to control the ESR and only for 4uF it was about 0,1 Ohm while for others the ESR was about 0,005 Ohm.

2)you advise me to reuse the old stuffing or not?

Hi Claudio

I would replace at least the 4 uF caps, since they are 30 years old and (probably) of the electrolytic type. I would find a 3.9 uF + 0.1 uF film cap and parallel them, I use Jantzen Cross-caps, very good quality compared to price, Italian dealer here:

http://www.axiomedia.it/Sito%20axiomedia%2...lipropilene.pdf

I have an extra pot, if you are interested PM me.

BRgds Klaus

Hi Claudio

I would replace at least the 4 uF caps, since they are 30 years old and (probably) of the electrolytic type. I would find a 3.9 uF + 0.1 uF film cap and parallel them, I use Jantzen Cross-caps, very good quality compared to price, Italian dealer here:

http://www.axiomedia.it/Sito%20axiomedia%2...lipropilene.pdf

I have an extra pot, if you are interested PM me.

BRgds Klaus

Hi Klaus,

Thanks for advice! will keep in mind your bid if the pot will become unusable. Were you able to find spare parts for the AR 10? I too will have a couple of them, plastic logo, and I have not had the courage to replace the capacitors.

I still think I will have to replace them sooner or later. I am really pleased with their music and I managed to stamp them after 30 years of waiting!Now try replacing the capacitors in the AR 5 and then invade the 10!thanks again, I'll keep you informed.

Rgds

Claudio

Archived