AR5 Xover and Pot

rl1856

In the near future I will be resurecting a pair of AR5. Previous owner had bypassed the level pots by hacking out the pots and contiguous sections of the crossover boards. Mids and Tweeters are connected without the level pots or their resistance in circuit.

I want to run these as if the pots were bypassed but with the pot resistance in circuit.

Does anyone know the resistance of the AR5 level pots so I can add the approximate resistance back into the circuits ?

Thanks,

Ross

In the near future I will be resurecting a pair of AR5. Previous owner had bypassed the level pots by hacking out the pots and contiguous sections of the crossover boards. Mids and Tweeters are connected without the level pots or their resistance in circuit.

I want to run these as if the pots were bypassed but with the pot resistance in circuit.

Does anyone know the resistance of the AR5 level pots so I can add the approximate resistance back into the circuits ?

Thanks,

Ross

In the library there is a nice drawing from Carl.

http://www.classicspeakerpages.net/library...5_schematic.pdf

Looks like 16 ohms for each pot.

David

Thanks ! Looks like I connect a 16ohm resister between the neg / B wire and the wire coming from each coil. Any recs as to type and rating for the resister ?

Ross

Ross,

If the pots are still installed, the resistance across #1 and #2 solder terminals can be used to provide the necessary parallel resistance. That part of the pot is usually still functional, and can easily be measured.

With that said, I recommend maintaining level controls for at least the mids. Most folks find the best balance with the mids backed off a bit, especially with the AR-5.

Roy

I agree with Roy. If you can't utilize the existing pots there are 15 OHM Ohmites available - though not too readily. They are a pain to cover as they are open - unlike the closed originals.

Other great and less expensive option is to use readily available 8 OHm L-Pads in combination with appropriate resistor. The AR 3a resto guide ( top of AR discussion page and same crossover as 5) has great detail. I used this to much success on my 5's. I measured OHM throughout operating range on both originals and the L-Pad resistor and it was very close.

Archived