AR Tweeter Repairs

Tekker

I've been considering trying to some tweeters in my 1969 AR3a's but had not considered the Vifa D19TD. There's a lot of support for the HIVI units from Parts Express. Please let us know how your tweeter replacement works out for you.

der

• 2 weeks later...

I have completed AR 3a tweeter replacement with Vifa D19TD, and I am happy with the result.  To fit the small tweeter, I made a 3/16" plywood donut.  Crossover is series 2.9uF and 6 ohm and parallel the 16 ohm of the AR3a pot.  The wiper wire of the pot was shifted to +, so crossover resistances are fixed. 

I always thought the AR front speaker connections were crude, but I now appreciate these are great for hobbyists.  After installing the tweeters but leaving the front connections open, I tried various values of resistance and capacitance using various wire jumpers, clips and components.  I did not try a parallel inductor.  Sound difference with capacitor changes was marked; 3.3 uF definitely sounded wrong.  Resistor changes were more subtle.

As mentioned earlier, the Vifa D19TD tweeter was selected because it was on hand.  I have not heard a properly functioning AR3a tweeter or the HiVi replacement so I cannot compare.

DSC_0010.JPG

• 1 month later...

Hello,

are there in between further experiances with the tweeter repair of Christian? Or has somone measured the fixed Drivers? In comparison with "untouched" originals perhaps?

What are the new Materials for the suspension and the sealant around the voice coil? According to the patent, the original suspensions are made of some kind of rubber-foam, that´s cured after the assembly of the tweeter...

Are there any pictures existing of a repaired tweeter?

With best regards!

Henner

PS: Or perhaps Christian can answer this on his own?

Archived