recapping Smaller Advents

Guest russwollman

Guest russwollman

Howdy,

Have a pair of SAs to recap. But it's hard to find replacements at the exact same value, 8mfd and 50 volts. And there are a couple of resistors in there, too. They're imprinted "1ohm10%5W".

The closest caps I have thus far found are 8.2 with a much higher voltage rating.

I guess the higher voltage rating is OK but the capacitance value should be exact, right? Too many microfarads would spoil the soup, right?

Maybe I should just leave them alone.

I'm reading a basic book on electronics and hope to grasp this stuff with a stronger hand.

Parts Express has 1% tolerance MPP caps in 4 uF value 250 VDC. You can wire two in parallel for your desired exact 8 uF replacement. If you buy 4 you will be able to do two speakers.

PE also offers resistors in 1 ohm 10W (sand cast) or 12W Mills Non-inductive.

Change the caps for sure. The resistor change is optional.

Howdy,

Have a pair of SAs to recap. But it's hard to find replacements at the exact same value, 8mfd and 50 volts. And there are a couple of resistors in there, too. They're imprinted "1ohm10%5W".

The closest caps I have thus far found are 8.2 with a much higher voltage rating.

I guess the higher voltage rating is OK but the capacitance value should be exact, right? Too many microfarads would spoil the soup, right?

Maybe I should just leave them alone.

I'm reading a basic book on electronics and hope to grasp this stuff with a stronger hand.

Hi

8.2 is OK. Any value within +/- 10% will be fine.

Use film caps. They will have a higher voltage rating, which is also fine.

Madisound has Carli mylar caps in 8uF. Great bang for the buck. $1.95 each. They also have Solens at 8uF for $4.37 ea. Bennic polys at 8.2uF are $3.65 and close enough. Or go wild and get the Mundorf 8.2 mfd Silver-Gold Caps for a mere $190.31 each :wub:

As Carl said, the resistors are probably OK. But I've seen 5 watt resistors in old KLH speakers that were fried. 10 or 12 watt is better IMHO. Those Mills resistors from PE are real nice. Madisound has Mundorfs for $2.50 each.

Good luck

Kent

Guest russwollman

Isn't this modern age remarkable? You can put your questions out there, very nearly to the universe, and the universe provides some answers.

My thanks to you both for helping.

Archived