AR-LST 2

cliffe

According to the AR LST-2 schematic in the library the #1 position results in a 4 dB drop in the woofer, an 8 dB drop in the midrange and a 3 dB drop in the tweeter sections.

The #2 position results in a 0 dB drop in the woofer, a 6 dB drop in the mid and a 3 dB drop in the tweeter section.

The #3 position results in a 0 dB drop in the woofer, an 8 dB drop in the mid and a 7 dB drop in the tweeter section.

From the above, I'd say the #2 position should yield the flattest anechoic response. However, how your speaker interacts in your listening space could have an impact on just how flat things are at each position.

According to the AR LST-2 schematic in the library the #1 position results in a 4 dB drop in the woofer, an 8 dB drop in the midrange and a 3 dB drop in the tweeter sections.

The #2 position results in a 0 dB drop in the woofer, a 6 dB drop in the mid and a 3 dB drop in the tweeter section.

The #3 position results in a 0 dB drop in the woofer, an 8 dB drop in the mid and a 7 dB drop in the tweeter section.

From the above, I'd say the #2 position should yield the flattest anechoic response. However, how your speaker interacts in your listening space could have an impact on just how flat things are at each position.

That doesn't sound right to me. My understanding is that the LST-2's switch behaved essentially like the LST's: each successive position raised the woofer and lowered the tweeters around a fixed midrange level. For the LST, "1" had the woofer 1dB down and the tweeters 1 dB up; "2" was 'flat'; 3-6 the woofer went up by 1 dB, the tweeters down by 1 dB. Positions 5 and 6 were said by AR to approximate the spectral balance of the 3a when its level controls were set to 'Norm.'

The LST-2 operated the same, but had only three positions (in spite of some early LST-2 lit showing 6 positions)."1" was woofer down by 1 dB, 2 was 'flat' and 3 was woofer up by 1 dB, tweeters down by 1 dB.

I owned LST-2's for 8 years and can attest to their open, natural, room-filling sound, and also to the fact that the switch position did not produce such wild swings in its response--as it didn't in the LST either.

A fine loudspeaker.

Steve F

That doesn't sound right to me. My understanding is that the LST-2's switch behaved essentially like the LST's: each successive position raised the woofer and lowered the tweeters around a fixed midrange level. For the LST, "1" had the woofer 1dB down and the tweeters 1 dB up; "2" was 'flat'; 3-6 the woofer went up by 1 dB, the tweeters down by 1 dB. Positions 5 and 6 were said by AR to approximate the spectral balance of the 3a when its level controls were set to 'Norm.'

The LST-2 operated the same, but had only three positions (in spite of some early LST-2 lit showing 6 positions)."1" was woofer down by 1 dB, 2 was 'flat' and 3 was woofer up by 1 dB, tweeters down by 1 dB.

I owned LST-2's for 8 years and can attest to their open, natural, room-filling sound, and also to the fact that the switch position did not produce such wild swings in its response--as it didn't in the LST either.

A fine loudspeaker.

Steve F

Thanks to all in regards to the 3 way switch on the LST 2`s .I have found the # 2 position to be best suited for my room and for were I have them in the room.They are a great speaker.I am feeding them plenty of juice with a Bryston 4b,and I think I heard one of say thanks for the power ( chuckle ) At any rate they really do shine with enough head room.Any other little tid bits about the 2`s would be greatl. Cheers cliffe PS were to get fuses

Archived