AR 5 Tweeter rebuild

Guest jolyon

Hi again,

I have found that both tweeters on my AR5s are blown. Open cct. Since I have nothing to lose I intend to have a go at rewinding them and re-forming the suspension.

Does anyone know what the red blobs were once (mine are dust held together by a film of dirt) made of and the material that was placed between the voice coil and front plate ?

Also, every time I measure the voice coil wire gauge with my callipers I get a different answer. Does anyone know what gauge (SWG; no, AWG I suppose ! ) wire the voice coils are wound from ? And, what's their DC resistance meant to be ?

Yours,

Jolyon.

Can't help with rebuild questions but if you get stuck and can not rebuild, don't hesitate to go with the HiVi Q1R and corresponding inductor coil perfected by Roy et al.

I just put the better sounding 0.05 coil on my AR 5 Q1R's and I'm extremely happy. Kind of a mix of best of both worlds. Great AR bass and midrange with now extended detailed hi's.

Hi again,

I have found that both tweeters on my AR5s are blown. Open cct. Since I have nothing to lose I intend to have a go at rewinding them and re-forming the suspension.

Does anyone know what the red blobs were once (mine are dust held together by a film of dirt) made of and the material that was placed between the voice coil and front plate ?

Also, every time I measure the voice coil wire gauge with my callipers I get a different answer. Does anyone know what gauge (SWG; no, AWG I suppose ! ) wire the voice coils are wound from ? And, what's their DC resistance meant to be ?

Yours,

Jolyon.

Jolyon,

The blobs consist of urethane foam and serve as the tweeter's suspension. The tacky coating covering them (and the voice coil gap) is a butyl compound. DCR is around 6 ohms.

CSP member, and resident AR historian, Tom Tyson, has described the unique nature of the manufacturing process of these tweeters, along with their rather high reject rate. I would be wary of claims made regarding rebuilding these to "original" specifications.

The more popular AR-2ax used the same tweeter, which can often be found listed on Ebay.

Roy

Archived