AR 2ax - Replace Woofer: Easy to do?

Guest kdrowdc

Guest kdrowdc

Hi All -

I've posted here before about my early model Ar 2ax's (Cloth Surrounds). I had been having a sagging cone problem with one of the woofers; on a suggestion here, I rotated the woofer 180 degrees and that helped a lot. But, the speaker is rattling again, and looking at it, I think the woofer is just shot.

I can get a refurbished driver of the same vintage, and given my limited time and expertise, replacing it is the way for me to go, rather than attempting to repair it.

So the question: is replacing the woofer as easy as just that? Take the old one out; clip the wires; re-solder the new driver in; seat the new driver in with new putty, screw back in and go?

Or, are there other gotcha's for me to worry about?

(I've attached a picture just for completeness...)

Thanks much,

Dan

post-103887-1254579922.jpg

post-103887-1254580214.jpg

So the question: is replacing the woofer as easy as just that? Take the old one out; clip the wires; re-solder the new driver in; seat the new driver in with new putty, screw back in and go?

No--it's easier than that ;)

The woofer should have push-0n quick connectors, so just pull them off the old woof and push them on the new. Be sure to observe polarity of course.

(Actually, they "may" be soldered after all. I just looked at photos of my restoration project and the push-ons may be something I added. Depends on the vintage I suppose. But that's it. No "gotchas")

Good luck

Kent

From the photograph, your woofer looks like the cast frame 6 screw woofer used in AR2a. The felt ring on the cone also suggests that. I've got both AR2as and AR2axs. My AR2ax woofers are stamped frames with 4 screws. The cabinets are routed to different dimensions and the woofers therefore are not physically interchangeable. All of my woofers were soldered. BTW, I'm working on mine now and I will be using Parts express gasket tape to reseal the cabinets. I really don't like the putty. The AR2as had putty that was so sticky, it took several hours to scape enough of it off so that I could pry it lose. The 2 AR2ax woofers are being refoamed by Bill at Millersound now and the AR2a woofer voice coil I accidentally damaged myself is being repaired by him too. He has my highest recommendation based on the outstanding work he did on my AR9s. If you want to repair the woofer, IMO you could not do better than to send it to him.

Archived