Bi-wiring AR 3a

Shacky

When I restored my 3a's I brought out a separate woofer ground to enable bi-wiring/bi-amping if I desired. For S&G's I just tried bi-wiring to A/B speaker outputs on my Sansui 890DB. Put speaker selector to A/B and it sounded like @$$. A to woofers sounds fine. B to mid/hi sounds fine. A+B still sounds like @$$.

I put jumpers back on and everything sounds great with single wire.

Not that I need to bi-wire - but what was happening? Was I showing a 2 OHM load to my receiver and it couldn't handle it?

That would depend on how your receiver handles A+B. If the speaker selector wires them in parallel, which I think is most common, that would result in 2 4 ohm speakers becoming a 2 ohm load. Not many vintage solid state amps like that. If you really want to bi-wire with the same amp, rather than bi-amp, maybe one of those speaker distribution controls that match impedance and provide separate volume controls for each speaker would be a good idea.

That would depend on how your receiver handles A+B. If the speaker selector wires them in parallel, which I think is most common, that would result in 2 4 ohm speakers becoming a 2 ohm load. Not many vintage solid state amps like that. If you really want to bi-wire with the same amp, rather than bi-amp, maybe one of those speaker distribution controls that match impedance and provide separate volume controls for each speaker would be a good idea.

What I would like to do is bi-amp - nbut not with separate crossover. Will on of those distribution controls allow me to adjust differences in gain from tubes and SS? If so I'd like to set up with Tubes on top and the Sui SS on bottom end.

What I would like to do is bi-amp - nbut not with separate crossover. Will on of those distribution controls allow me to adjust differences in gain from tubes and SS? If so I'd like to set up with Tubes on top and the Sui SS on bottom end.

If the idea is to feed the woofer from one amp and the mid/tweeter from another, you probably don't need a distribution control, just level controls if your power amps don't have controls of their own. The distribution control would be for wiring one amp to two speakers (which is what the woofer and mid/tweeter become when you decouple them).

Archived