AR-90 vs, AR-90L mystery! please help

Guest cjm.blm@comcast.net

Guest cjm.blm@comcast.net

These speakers are labeled as model AR-90L. I am familiar w the AR-90 but does anyone know about the "L" varient and how it compares to the standard 90? Also, the upper midrange driver on this speaker looks different than all the other photos of AR-90's I can find. (see attached images). Is this driver different because it is an "L" varient or could they have been replaced with an improper driver at some point? The upper midranges are identical on both towers which would tend to indicate they are original.. as is everything else on them. I was told they were 1979 vintage which would be early in production, the serial # would support that (just over 1000 built so far...?)

Any info would be appreciated!

thanks.

post-104211-1241052983.jpg

post-104211-1241053008.jpg

Hello,

Both my AR-90, also dating from 1979, have an "L" printed on the serial number sticker (AR90L 002xxx). My belief is that this "L" forms part of the serial code, and is not a model designation, though it may refer to the location of manufacture?

Your upper-mids are definitely not the original AR drivers: the correct original drivers for your AR-90 are AR Part # 200028 (or the service replacement, AR Part # 1200028-0).

Hope that helps.

Robert_S

It doesn't look as if the midrange fits that routed hole.

Also, the correct driver would have T-nut mounting holes at about 1,5,7, and 11 o'clock.

You could simply remove this driver, and look to see if the original holes are still there.

The AR90's I own do not have T-bolt mounting holes nor did they the day I bought them new. On the other hand, the upper mids in the photo are absolutely not original, not even close.

The AR90's I own do not have T-bolt mounting holes nor did they the day I bought them new. On the other hand, the upper mids in the photo are absolutely not original, not even close.

That's very interesting - what did the mounting bolts thread into?

That's very interesting - what did the mounting bolts thread into?

All,

I did a bit of reaearch and realized I was caught in a technicality. Corretly, AR used a T-Nut, not a T-Bolt. Small difference not really worth quibbling over.

I work for the worlds largest heavy equipment manufacturer in the quality department of my division. When I read T-bolt, I thought of a bolt with a T head, generally used in slots and the ilk. I did not think of the cabinet makers counterpart as I'm almost always looking at rather large items.

R. Crain

• 4 years later...

I know this is an old thread but was googling to see if I could find any info on the 'L' designation.

Mine are AR90L 0018XX and 0018XX. They have the large silver ring on the tweeter and the typical Upper Mid drivers with the silver roll around the dome.

AR90_a_zps2ad1ad76.jpg

Archived