3A/LST tweeter ???

Mexicomike

I started watching on Ebay for an original 3A/LST tweeter but thought I'd ask here as well to see if anybody has an original 4 Ohm tweeter for these speakers that they would sell. As I said in a different post, one of my LSTs apparently had one of its 4 Ohm tweeters replaced by an 8 ohm unit sometime in the past. So I need one original 4 OHM tweeter. If you have one that works properly and measures around 3 Ohms when checked with a meter, I'd be interested in purchasing it. One thing I thought of doing but I just can't bring myself to do so is to remove a tweeter from one of my 3As and put it in the LST. The LSTs are used daily while the 3As are now used very rarely but it just bothers me to do this...

Administrator - If it is inappropriate for me to post this sort of buy/sell question here, I won't be upset if it is deleted or moved to some other location.

Mike,

For better or for worse, I've been advised to retain my removed 3a tweeters (as well as old pots) in case I ever sell and someone wants the original setup. Otherwise I"d be pleased to offer you one of mine. So, a suggestion: Why not order some HiVi Q1R tweeters, along with the 0.1 mH (I think) inductor coils that RoyC has identified, for your 3a's? (If my ears are relevant judges, you won't be sorry.) Currently Parts Express accepts backorders for the Q1Rs. When I spoke to them the other day they advised that the size of their incoming (one hopes) order exceeds current backorder requests. I assume it isn't too late to join the list before it tips toward the next backorder, eventually get the Q1Rs (maybe), and in the meantime transfer one of the original tweeters from your 3a to the LST. Alternatively, have you contacted Larry / Vintage AR to see if he has an original available?

Dick,

I reeeeaaaaly do not want to put non-original drivers in my ARs. I am not saying that replacements may not be fine but it's a personal thing for me. But I may seriously consider using one of the 3A tweeters in the LST and wait to find a replacement to go in the 3A. I agree that the advice you received re your drivers is good advice BUT if you decide to ignore it, let me know! :)

I have sent you a PM re some other issues that are probably best left off this site...

Thanks...

I reeeeaaaaly do not want to put non-original drivers in my ARs. I am not saying that replacements may not be fine but it's a personal thing for me. But I may seriously consider using one of the 3A tweeters in the LST and wait to find a replacement to go in the 3A. I agree that the advice you received re your drivers is good advice BUT if you decide to ignore it, let me know! :)

Considering how long it took for you to notice this problem tweeter, if these were my speakers I think I would just live with it until a suitable replacement came along and not risk damaging another good one in an attempted swap.

Considering how long it took for you to notice this problem tweeter, if these were my speakers I think I would just live with it until a suitable replacement came along and not risk damaging another good one in an attempted swap.

Probably good advice - since it was more luck than skill that caused me to notice it!

Probably good advice - since it was more luck than skill that caused me to notice it!

Mike,

I have a spare, since I have been dabbling in the realm of replacements, but will need to test it first. I don't take any of them for granted these days.

...will PM you.

Roy

Mike,

I have a spare, since I have been dabbling in the realm of replacements, but will need to test it first. I don't take any of them for granted these days.

...will PM you.

Roy

Thanks Roy...got it and emailed back!

I took a look at that but I'd rather much rather get them Roy or someone else here if at all possible...

These are really getting tough to find. I managed to blow all four tweeters on one of my LSTs, and was very fortunate to be able to replace them (sincere thanks to Carl Richard and Larry Lagace). Like you, I am loath to sacrifice my 3a tweeters.

I was very intrigued by the HiVi tweeter; Carl has indicated that its off-axis response is not a good as the original tweeter, but in a pinch it might not be a bad replacement. In the end, I decided to "keep it original".

Archived