newbie - How do I connect my AR-2 to a normal modern stereo? need to test before selling

Guest toughwuss

Guest toughwuss

I have a pair of AR-2 speakers that were my grandmas and I'm wanting to sell them but want to test them out first... last they would have been played would have been like 15 years ago and she rarely played her stereo.... any help would rock.... toughwuss@gmail.com

I have a pair of AR-2 speakers that were my grandmas and I'm wanting to sell them but want to test them out first... last they would have been played would have been like 15 years ago and she rarely played her stereo.... any help would rock.... toughwuss@gmail.com

Typical hookup for 3-way speaker would be: negative (-) for terminal number "1"....positive (+) to terminal number "2". There should be a jumper between terminal "2" and "T"...leave that in place, unless you want to remove the woofer from the system.

Yeah, with jumper info as noted, they hook up in the same way as a speaker made in 2009, they just sound a lot better! :rolleyes:

But as you may have read here, start out at VERY low volume because there is a good chance the foam surrounds on the woofers need to be replaced. Also, the pots may not be working properly and you will not hear much high freq out of them. Odds are they need to be restored completely - new caps, new woofer surrounds, pot cleaning, probably new grill cloth. If you don't want to do that, you could put them up for sale in their current condition. Obviously they won't bring nearly as much but somebody will buy them!

Guest toughwuss
Yeah, with jumper info as noted, they hook up in the same way as a speaker made in 2009, they just sound a lot better! :)

But as you may have read here, start out at VERY low volume because there is a good chance the foam surrounds on the woofers need to be replaced. Also, the pots may not be working properly and you will not hear much high freq out of them. Odds are they need to be restored completely - new caps, new woofer surrounds, pot cleaning, probably new grill cloth. If you don't want to do that, you could put them up for sale in their current condition. Obviously they won't bring nearly as much but somebody will buy them!

what are speakers like these worth?

post-103999-1236073664.jpg

post-103999-1236073677.jpg

post-103999-1236073650.jpg

post-103999-1236073601.jpg

post-103999-1236073625.jpg

what are speakers like these worth?

post-103999-1236073664.jpg

post-103999-1236073677.jpg

post-103999-1236073650.jpg

post-103999-1236073601.jpg

post-103999-1236073625.jpg

Since it doesn't appear you terminals are numbered - the two bottom screws with jumper going between them are postive. You can connect positive lead to either of these and negative to top screw. Since these appear to be older AR 2 model, the woofers will have cloth surrounds so no need to worry about deteriorating foam surround damaging woofer when you play them.

Turn that knob a bit to see if you can get the tweeter to work. as someone already pointed out, the pots may be corroded preventing tweeter from working.

Haven't any idea of value. Not a lot. More of historical value. Do a search of completed bids on eBay. You will likely have to sift through many more 2A and 2AX sales.

Haven't any idea of value. Not a lot. More of historical value. Do a search of completed bids on eBay. You will likely have to sift through many more 2A and 2AX sales.

I agree, I was thinking 2AXs even though you clearly stated AR 2s. The 2s would be worth more to someone who wanted some ARs for their historic aspect rather than the sound. The damaged veneer would be a price reducer as well, especially since these speakers would not likely be purchased for their sound capability. Not that the sound is poor, but it is clearly not in the league of the later 2AX. With the later speakers, folks are more willing to accept cabinets that need refinishing because they are wanting the speakers for their sound and the cabinets not being totally original and in original condition is not as important. But, like anything on Ebay, you never know, someone might pop up at the right time!

Heck, three years ago old Ampex studio tape transport and their associated tube electronics like the 350/351 (roughly 1950-1965) were being tossed in landfills. NOW a single 351 preamp unit sells for 6-$800 on ebay. A stereo transport and 2 preamps just sold for $2200. An 8 channel went for 9k! As a contrast, an old 8 channel Tascam tape deck from the 80's sells for around 200 bucks.

Good luck!

If you are into music at all and are willing to dig into these, they are a fine speaker. I don't think you could do better at 3 times the money for new. I A/B ed a pair with other AR's and was very suprised at how well they stood up. Yes, I had to EQ the top end up just to keep up with the great woofs, all in all great smooth sound.

PeteZ

Archived