Did KLH use Rosewood veneer?

JKent

This was advertised as having rosewood veneer. So I bought it (like I really need another Model 21 :) )

I am not aware of KLH using Rosewood. Does anyone know? Maybe Andy? The color and grain sure look like it to me. Here is a pic of the radio, and a side-by-side comparison with a walnut veneer 21.

Thanks for any help.

Kent

post-101828-1234035855.jpg

post-101828-1234035871.jpg

Hi Kent, I've never heard of rosewood being used on a 21. Rosewod has a distinct grain with lines running with the grain that almost look black. I think at some point that radio was rubbed down with an oil that had a coloring in it, maybe mahogany tint, giving it a deep reddish hue. The grain in the side by side photos you posted show that the grain is very much the same (walnut). I also have radios from the 1930's and 40's and have seen huge color variations in the same model radio thanks to what people have applied to them.

I used to work with a guy who restored furniture for a living. He always said to take a good long look at the grain pattern because the color can really throw folks off coarse when determining wood type.

Right now I can't remember if KLH might have offered rosewood veneer on speakers in the early 60's ? I'm pretty sure AR did on it's speakers.

My vote on that model 21 is that it's the familiar walnut we've come to love.

Andy

Hi Kent, I've never heard of rosewood being used on a 21. Rosewod has a distinct grain with lines running with the grain that almost look black. I think at some point that radio was rubbed down with an oil that had a coloring in it, maybe mahogany tint, giving it a deep reddish hue. The grain in the side by side photos you posted show that the grain is very much the same (walnut).

Hi, Kent & Andy -

I'm far from being knowledgeable on the subject of Model 21's so I can't say whether they were ever offered in rosewood. However, I do know a bit about cabinetry and woodworking.

As Andy said, Rosewood has distinctly darker lines running through the grain giving sort of a "stripey" look to the wood with definite areas of a deep red color and an almost black color. I see just such areas in the photos you posted so I have to say that it looks alot like rosewood to me.

John

• 2 years later...

The answer to your question is emphatically YES! The Model 21 was offered in two finishes, Black Walnut and Rosewood. How do I know this? Well, back in 1965 when I was in college, I made several trips to the Abraham & Strauss in downtown Brooklyn, NY to drool over the 21's they had on display. I was a student on a restricted budget and really couldn't afford the Walnut one at $89.95 (I believe that was the retail price), let alone spend an additional $10 for the Rosewood one. And I have to tell you, I love Rosewood! After 3 trips down there to just "look", I bit the bullet and bought the Walnut model. I used this as my "hi-fi" in my dorm room where it was my constant source of jazz while I many times worked through the night. I still have it with its original shipping carton and instructions and I still listen to it in my basement office. I just wish I had the $10 more to have bought the Rosewood model, but those were very different times.

• 4 weeks later...
B) Hi Kent, I don't remember KLH offering anything in the M21 days besides walnut but 2 years ago I did pick up a pair of Model 17's in Teakwood which I never saw advertised in those days, and yes they're in "the room" awaiting TLC like the rest, Rob P.S. I'll get back to you on those e-mails you sent me next weekend when things settle down, Rob from HIGH AND DRY Colorado Springs B)

B) Hi Kent, I don't remember KLH offering anything in the M21 days besides walnut but 2 years ago I did pick up a pair of Model 17's in Teakwood which I never saw advertised in those days, and yes they're in "the room" awaiting TLC like the rest, Rob P.S. I'll get back to you on those e-mails you sent me next weekend when things settle down, Rob from HIGH AND DRY Colorado Springs B)

Boy, would I like to see those!

It makes sense, I guess that teak would be used for speaker cabinets in the late '60s and early '70s since Scandinavian furniture was REALLY popular at that time and a lot of that is done in teak.

John

Archived