KLH Model Five Crossover photos.

Rhubarb

All parts ordered from Parts Express! It was great because they also had 6 ohm resistors for the Model 5s, I also needed four more for the McIntosh speakers I'm redoing- the vendor I used for those was out of stock.

It's almost comedic the different brands/styles of caps and inductors used in KLH models! Are any two crossovers exactly the same? I am, of course, kidding.

So lo and behold one of the crossovers has two broken wires in it. Gee, I wonder if that had something to do with one speaker sounding not quite all there?

All the parts arrived earlier this week. I did the McIntosh crossovers first since they are more straightforward. To echo Jkent's advice, always replace resistors. Both Mac speakers had BAKED resistors in the woofer circuit- see the attached pic. 

I have started wiring extensions to the capacitors for the Model 5's and even installed the 25 cap and a couple of resistors. I love redoing crossovers; it is very gratifying and it's probably the only kind of electronic repair I'm capable of performing!

image.jpeg

it's probably the only kind of electronic repair I'm capable of performing!

You'd be surprised what you can learn here. When I joined CSP I had no idea what a capacitor was. Now I restore KLH tube radios. The more you learn, the more fun!

-Kent

Well, I got both crossovers finished. The first one was done well, but I wanted the second one to be laid out in a neater fashion. The first one was definitely a learning experience. The Mac crossovers were WAY simpler since those speakers don't have tone pots.

The first speaker, belonging to the first crossover, had a dead tweeter and a Model 6 woofer. I think I'm guilty of the woofer swap- I suppose it made sense at the time... The second speaker is all working and has the correct woofer. There is a pair on everyone's favorite auction site, but I'm hoping I can find a single. A replacement tweeter is on the way as well. The woofer surround needs to be redone, luckily I have a jar of vintage-ar's compound in the garage. Attached is a pic of the second crossover, I'm happy with its layout, much more so than the first one!

FullSizeRender2.jpg

Archived