Dynaco X-30XL Speakers - any info out there?

tvr2500m

When I was a kid, I build, modified, listened to, and enjoyed a lot of Dynaco stuff. I feel that Dynaco offered more honest value than just about any other audio products company. My father still has his PAS-2, FM-1 with MPX adapter, and ST-70, and my brother still has PAT-4, ST-150, FM-5, and X-30XLs.

Among the Dynaco gear I had, I had a few pairs of A-30XL loudspeakers. Comparing them to a many other speakers in their price range, and the range I could afford, I obviously chose these. Checking in on the Dynaco scene on occasion, still thinking I'd like to play around with an ST-35, ST-70, or Mk III, I almost never see mention of the A-30XL speaker. It was a stand mount/bookshelf 3-way; vintage is late 1970s.

Without easy access to my brother's speakers and the ability to dissect them (nondestructively, of course), I'd like to understand more about this speaker - what drivers did it use, what type of xovers did it use, schematics, where were they constructed, who designed them, and whatever.

Any one with anything on these?

Thanks,

- SJ

• 8 months later...
When I was a kid, I build, modified, listened to, and enjoyed a lot of Dynaco stuff. I feel that Dynaco offered more honest value than just about any other audio products company. My father still has his PAS-2, FM-1 with MPX adapter, and ST-70, and my brother still has PAT-4, ST-150, FM-5, and X-30XLs.

Among the Dynaco gear I had, I had a few pairs of A-30XL loudspeakers. Comparing them to a many other speakers in their price range, and the range I could afford, I obviously chose these. Checking in on the Dynaco scene on occasion, still thinking I'd like to play around with an ST-35, ST-70, or Mk III, I almost never see mention of the A-30XL speaker. It was a stand mount/bookshelf 3-way; vintage is late 1970s.

Without easy access to my brother's speakers and the ability to dissect them (nondestructively, of course), I'd like to understand more about this speaker - what drivers did it use, what type of xovers did it use, schematics, where were they constructed, who designed them, and whatever.

Any one with anything on these?

Thanks,

- SJ

I do remember the Dynaco A30XL speaker. they were available in the late 70s. Some other forum poster stated that they were a Panor design. Anyways, a couple of my neighbors from my high school days had those. I remember them as being pretty good. But for the life of me, I cannot understand why they just "vanished" and are nowhere to be found as far as speaker classics are concerned.

• 7 years later...

They were a late 70's, I don't think panor was around yet. label on the back said Blackwood, Nj. , with another sticker saying xl then a 4 digit number. They may have been produced into the 80's. The tweeter was a polydax, the mid-range and woofer were made by gefco . No seas drivers. 

The are very similar looking to the dynaco 250's, very similar. The 250's had a seas tweeter, I don't know who made the woofer and mid-range.

i still have my A30xl's I bought in 1978...

Archived