AR48s Repair Help

It looks as if the speaker wire connector is riveted in. You'll have to drill it out to replace it. It also looks as if just the plastic cover is gone and it may work just fine. You can get replacement connectors almost anywhere- Radio Shack, part express...

Good luck!

Hi;

I think that the AR48's are fine speakers. If you are not concerned with an exact restoration, I would drill out the rivets visible in your pic and pull off the spring connectors. Replace them with something that will accept bigger wire, gold plated preferred. This is not very expensive from Parts Express, DigiKey or one of the others.

Make sure that you put the same amount fiber fill back in, as you took out, and in the same orientation. See some other postings for further discussion. It is a good idea just to read everything.

Nigel

>It looks as if the speaker wire connector is riveted in.

>You'll have to drill it out to replace it. It also looks as

>if just the plastic cover is gone and it may work just fine.

No, unfortunately the little metal shim that actually holds the speaker wire in place is also missing. I can probably jerry-rig something that will work, but I figured as long as I'm fixing these speakers up, I'd repair that as well.

Thanks very much for the reply.

Goncalo Alves

>I think that the AR48's are fine speakers. If you are not

>concerned with an exact restoration, I would drill out the

>rivets visible in your pic and pull off the spring connectors.

I guess that's what I'll have to do.

>Make sure that you put the same amount fiber fill back in,

>as you took out, and in the same orientation.

I saved all the acoustic insulation, so I'll replace that once I get the woofers refoamed. I'll probably have that done by Layne Audio, they'll do both 10" woofers for $50, and I can also get replacement mids, speaker connectors, and even grill cloth from them at fairly reasonable prices. All told, I figure it'll cost about $90-$100 each to restore the speakers to near-new condition, which I think is worth it.

Thanks very much for the reply.

Goncalo Alves

Regarding the value of the AR48's .. I had a friend who had these in college (I had the 38's) and I drooled over them. I never did get my hands on the pair.

I would say they are well worth refurbishing. If I'm not mistaken they have the newer style AR 10" woofer (very heavy magnet) and very rigid textured paper cones. The bass from these was a beautiful thing!

Mark

• 4 months later...

Hello, I have a pair of old AR 48s's that I bought in the early 80's. I retired them several years ago, but now I'm considering putting them back into service. They have some problems: the woofers need refoaming and the midranges also have slight cracks in the surrounds. One of the speakers has a damaged speaker-wire connector on the back, and this has me stumped: I can't figure out how to remove it to replace it. It seems to be attached to the inside of the cabinet, and on the inside it's covered by the crossover assembly. There are no visible screws on the outside of the cabinet, and the crossover panel appears to be stapled to the inside of the cabinet. Is there an easy way to do this that I'm just missing, or do I just have to rip the crossover assembly off? In case you can't tell, I have no experience with speaker cabinet repair, but it seems like it shouldn't be too difficult...but I don't want to destroy the speaker in order to save it.

I know these aren't considered "classic" AR speakers, so please don't sneer at me for trying to save them. They were part of the first stereo system I bought with my own money after college, so they have some sentimental value for me.

Please see the two attached jpg files; the two holes next to the actual speaker connectors are just flat, metal plugs.

Any assistance is appreciated.

Goncalo Alves

Archived