I have no choice.....

Analogman

The "AR"-5s have to be sold. They will have to go to someone (preferably a Forum member) that can pick them up here in the San Francisco Bay Area (Clayton). I will simply paste my "craigslist" ad here. They are very nice, and I hate to see them go, but these are hard times. : - (

*I have no digital camera; that's why no photos*

95% of what the "3a" can do at a 3rd the price; some listeners feel it's better

Acoustic Research "AR-5"s Excellent Condition In Less Common Teak

Want Vintage "AR" - "East Coast" - "New England" Sound, WITHOUT ALL THE WORK?

This Pair is Plug and Play - LOOK and SOUND GREAT!

Pots (Level Controls) Serviced

New Foam Compliance (Surrounds)

Crossovers rebuilt: Dayton Caps

One or two very minor blems in cabinets ( couple of tiny dings, no chips)

Color and grain on these are beautiful

Original Grille Cloth - Very Good++

Perfect Badges

Labels on back clean and sharp

Serial #s only (1) off from being consecutive

Cabs re-stuffed with polyester

Original Sprague "Compulytic" Caps and Fiberglass saved for new owner

$250.00 cash and pick-up only

Respond with phone# if seriously interested

• 4 weeks later...
I can't believe these haven't sold yet -- that's an excellent price for a great pair of speakers. I love my AR-5s; sorry to see you have to let yours go. Good luck!

What's even more difficult for me to understand is that every pair that's been on ePay in the last several months has gone for more than what I'm asking.

Un-restored an BEFORE shipping?! The last Teak pair brought $499.00 + shipping, "as is"?

I'm adjusting my price back upwards to $250 on "craigslist". I've been trying to sell them for so long now, the money won't really help.

I'm in deep shit.

Thanks for the comment,

Craig

What's even more difficult for me to understand is that every pair that's been on ePay in the last several months has gone for more than what I'm asking.

Un-restored an BEFORE shipping?! The last Teak pair brought $499.00 + shipping, "as is"?

I'm adjusting my price back upwards to $250 on "craigslist". I've been trying to sell them for so long now, the money won't really help.

I'm in deep shit.

Thanks for the comment,

Craig

Well, sold them this morning to a working Musician. He loves the fact that they don't do what every other pair of speakers he's heard do, add an unnatural harshness to the female voice. Brought his own reference recording to confirm that fact. About 16 bars into it was all it took. I'm happy he got them.

And of course, they never sounded as good, as they always do, when they're about to leave........... :)

Always seems to work like that. Maybe I'll come across another pair when I can hold onto them.

Thank you for all your help with the restoration work.

Regards,

Craig

Archived