KLH Model 1

Guest JoZmo

Greetings,

I'm looking for any information I can get on KLH1's. I have searched here and read what's available but nowhere can I find out how these speakers sound.

I realize they are not from the original stock of KLH and have some kind of computer circuitry to control the bass.

I ask all this because I have an opportunity to buy a pair but want to know if there were/are any problems with them i.e. computer bass control?

I have owned early KLH's (23's 32's ) so if these speakers are nothing special then I will just pass on them, as I don't need anymore mediocre speakers in my house taking up room.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Hi and welcome

Did you check the Library?

http://www.classicspeakerpages.net/library...klh-1_klh-2_kl/

They certainly LOOK impressive. They were reviewed in the April 1980 Stereo Review. Haven't seen the review though.

good luck

Kent

Hi and welcome

Did you check the Library?

http://www.classicspeakerpages.net/library...klh-1_klh-2_kl/

They certainly LOOK impressive. They were reviewed in the April 1980 Stereo Review. Haven't seen the review though.

good luck

Kent

Thanks for the welcome.

I did check the library but was wondering if anybody had actually heard these speakers and get some opinions. But, it matters not now because, it turns out the seller didn't have the bass component that came with these and didn't even know what it was or that it existed. So, I passed.

I would rather wait and find some of the original KLH's from the early days anyway.

Thanks

My current favorites are the Twelves--big suckers but they sound great. And because of their size, they are not very popular. I bought mine for $100 and the sller threw in a KLH Eighteen tuner! If you want something more manageable, the Seventeens are really nice. Another "sleeper" is the Twenty--these were originally part of a system and they have RCA jacks. They are also 4 ohms, but they are otherwise identical to the 17s and can often be had for next to nothing. Browse through the KLH section and you will find threads on all of these. I posted pictures about recapping the Twelves (separate boxes, so if you do find a pair of Twelves make sure the crossovers are included) and recapping the Fives--one pair with "normal" poly caps and one pair with HUGE Clarity caps. The Five recap is here:

http://www.classicspeakerpages.net/IP.Boar...?showtopic=2557

Here's the thread on the Twelves:

http://www.classicspeakerpages.net/IP.Boar...?showtopic=4111

Classic KLH speakers were notorious for lousy caps, so whatever you end up with plan on recapping. You can use cheap non-polar electrolytics or go for film caps. Mylars are real bargains (thanks Roy C!) and polys from Dayton, Bennic or Solen are reasonable. And although the common wisdom says that wire-wound resistors don't go bad, I've seen fried 5 watt resistors in the Fives and the Twelves, so while you're at it, it wouldn't hurt to replace (or at least inspect) the resistors. I really like the Mills resistors I put in Rob's Twelves (with the Clarity Caps).

Good luck with your KLH quest!

Kent

• 2 months later...
Guest madmike

I bought my KLH Model 1's in 1980. I was trying to buy some Koss speakers but the salesman

took me to someone's house and showed me the superior KLH 1's. They have traveled around

the country with me and are the left/right speakers in my entertainment system (surround sound 5.1).

I bought a Yamaha bookshelf speaker for the center speaker and have some 34 year old HKs for the rear.

I bought a KLH ASW 10 subwoofer 5 years ago but it just died so I reintegrated the bass computer and it still works.

The quality of the KLH's apparently took a dive not long after the Model 1's.

I Robot sounds great on my system.

I was considering a Bose surround system 5 years ago but the KLH1's had superior midrange, and the bass is still fine.

My concern is the electronics since electrolytic caps have limited lives. The plastic speaker cones have endured the years.

Hope this helps. The Model 1's were certainly worth the money and are still alive and kicking.

Greetings,

I'm looking for any information I can get on KLH1's. I have searched here and read what's available but nowhere can I find out how these speakers sound.

I realize they are not from the original stock of KLH and have some kind of computer circuitry to control the bass.

I ask all this because I have an opportunity to buy a pair but want to know if there were/are any problems with them i.e. computer bass control?

I have owned early KLH's (23's 32's ) so if these speakers are nothing special then I will just pass on them, as I don't need anymore mediocre speakers in my house taking up room.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Archived