model 6 caps

Guest fourwheels0

Guest fourwheels0

i have a pair of 6's and 1 tweeter does not work. i checked it with a 1.5 volt battery and i get noise from it so i'm thinking the caps are bad correct?. i've read that you should use an 8 microfared 100volt npc. my question is are those the red and black ones in my pics?. i want to know what to replace them with without getting into trouble. the more info i can get the better. thanks.

post-103218-1215300133.jpg

post-103218-1215300188.jpg

Hi

What you have there are THREE caps. The one is definitely 8uF, but there is a double in your first picture. Check to see how it is marked, It may say "2 MFD x 2" or something like that. Once you have figured out the values you can buy new caps. If you go to Partsexpress.com, they have lots of speaker caps in different price ranges. Daytons are good. Non-polarizes electrolytics are adequate and cheap. If you go to Madisound.com, you can get inexpensive Bennic NPEs, but the Carli Mylar caps are very good and a good value. Or you could use Solens, favored by many people.

Attached is a photo of a rebuilt KLH 17 xover. It seems to resemble your Six. I just replaced the double cap with 2 caps, tied together at one end.

Another member will probably help with the value of that double cap. But the KLH caps of that era were /are BAD and should be replaced.

Kent

post-101828-1215306439.jpg

Guest fourwheels0

jkent thank you. i was looking for where to get them. so the big one on the crossover is actually 2 in 1 housing?. could i just use 1 with the same uf as the original(say if its 2uf x2 could i just use 1 4uf?). as you can tell i'm new to all this internal stuff but i'm trying to learn with the good help of folks on here(and you). i beleive the 1 coming off the tweeter (with the blue wire) is an 8uf 50volt? would that be correct. ok i just checked and the 1 on the crossover is 2x2uf.here is a pic of it.

post-103218-1215307922.jpg

jkent thank you. i was looking for where to get them. so the big one on the crossover is actually 2 in 1 housing?. could i just use 1 with the same uf as the original(say if its 2uf x2 could i just use 1 4uf?). as you can tell i'm new to all this internal stuff but i'm trying to learn with the good help of folks on here(and you). i beleive the 1 coming off the tweeter (with the blue wire) is an 8uf 50volt? would that be correct. ok i just checked and the 1 on the crossover is 2x2uf.here is a pic of it.

Below is a link to the CSP library page showing the schematic and wiring instructions from KLH. They show the two 2 uF and one 8 uF caps.

Those are what you need to replace.

When you get the two new 2 uf caps, twist the leads from one end of each together then attach the other two ends to the leads you cut from the old 2X2 cap.

Those old Callins caps in the KLH 6's are notorious for failing.

http://www.classicspeakerpages.net/library...manual_pg4.html

Carl has covered this very well, but just to be sure you understand (I remember needing a lot of hand-holding not very long ago): The double 2uF can NOT be replaced by one 4uF. If you look at that cap you will see that although there is just one lead at one end, the other end has 2 leads and each lead goes to a different point. So when you replace that double cap with TWO 2uF caps, you can take one lead from each cap, twist them together, and attach them to the point where the single lead went (or splice to that lead). At the opposite ends of the two caps, one goes to one point and the other to the other point. Or, as Carl suggested splice into the red leads from the old cap you removed.

So--buy ONE 8uF and TWO 2uF caps for each speaker. Don't worry so much about the voltage. If you buy Dayton poly caps from parts express, or either Solen poly or Carli mylar from Madisound you'll be fine.

Here is the Dayton link. 8.2uF will do:

http://www.partsexpress.com/dayton-metallized-capacitors.cfm

Here is the Carli link:

http://www.madisound.com/catalog/product_i...products_id=168

They have the 8uF but no 2uF, so maybe use Solens for the 2 mfd:

http://www.madisound.com/catalog/product_i...products_id=739

OR use Bennic poly caps in values 2.2 and 8.2:

http://www.madisound.com/manufacturers/ben...nic-caps-pp.php

Good Luck

Kent

Guest fourwheels0

ok thanks you guys are great. now that it's been explained i understand it much better now. now i need to get the caps and get these things going again. i plan on doing the 1 speaker first just so i can get an idea of how much better it will sound with the new caps compared to the other one (the other one works fine). then i'll do the other one so they match. thanks again guys.

Guest fourwheels0

can you guys tell me the difference between a 10uf cap and an 8uf cap. i can get everything locally but they only have 10uf caps and no 8uf's. can i use a 10uf cap?. will i see i big difference if i use the 10uf's. thanks.

can you guys tell me the difference between a 10uf cap and an 8uf cap. i can get everything locally but they only have 10uf caps and no 8uf's. can i use a 10uf cap?. will i see i big difference if i use the 10uf's. thanks.

But seriously folks... I don't think you should go more than 10% +/-

Don't like mail order?

I may have 2 8s that I would sell for actual cost ($2 each) + actual mailing cost. PM me if interested, include your email address.

Kent

Guest fourwheels0

jkent i got the 6's capped with all correct caps thanks. i did one speaker first and compared it to the other and i could hear no difference between the one with factory 30yr old caps and the new ones go figure lol. but they are both done now and should last another 30+yrs. thanks again.

Archived