IN NEED OF WOOFERS

Guest awaselito

Guest awaselito

hi all, i am new to the forum and new to these good looking speakers. a buddy from work just gave me a set of ACOUSTIC RESEARCH AR91 WITH ACOUSTIC BLANKET speakers that his mother bought when she was in collage. he's 22 but i don't know how old his mom is. but, these speakers are like crazy heavy and their cabinets are awesome. the front grill net could need replaced but they are nice. now, the only problem is that being that these speakers are of old age. the woofers need replace cause the foam around the cone just like falls off. the mid and tweets are in good shape. just need the woofers. question,,,,,, could these woofers still be purchased? and if so, what would be the cost, and or would anyone in this forum have any for sell?? thank you, you can email me or call me. ask for my number.

hi all, i am new to the forum and new to these good looking speakers. a buddy from work just gave me a set of ACOUSTIC RESEARCH AR91 WITH ACOUSTIC BLANKET speakers that his mother bought when she was in collage. he's 22 but i don't know how old his mom is. but, these speakers are like crazy heavy and their cabinets are awesome. the front grill net could need replaced but they are nice. now, the only problem is that being that these speakers are of old age. the woofers need replace cause the foam around the cone just like falls off. the mid and tweets are in good shape. just need the woofers. question,,,,,, could these woofers still be purchased? and if so, what would be the cost, and or would anyone in this forum have any for sell?? thank you, you can email me or call me. ask for my number.

The "real" AR shut down years ago..... Have you considered refoaming your woofers? Many members of this forum have done this with good results. It is likely that you can too. In the past I have purchased refoam kits from Decware and have generally been happy with the results. Recently however, I have had to replace the foam on my Allison One systems (again) after one of our pets chewed on them. The replacement foam from Decware unfortunately was too stiff and it pushed the woofers resonant frequency up too far. Snooping this forum I read a number of positive comments about the foam replacement kits offered by MSound. So I made the plunge and ordered 3 kits (2 kits for the Allisons and one kit for a pair of AR2ax woofers) I must say that I am very pleased with the results. A kit of 2 surrounds for your speakers with in depth, easy to follow instructions will run you around 30 dollars delivered to your doorstep. A lot cheaper than a new set of AR91 woofers if you could find them.

Heres a link to their EBAY store: http://www.stores.ebay.com/msound?refid=store

The MSound DIY page: http://www.citlink.net/~msound/

If you don't want to do it yourself I recommend Carl's Custom Loudspeakers. While I haven't had him do any work on my woofers I have been to his shop and seen his work close up. Nice. http://www.classicloudspeakerservices.com/about.html-

-T

p.s. I'm guessing you are about the same age as your buddy....a little life lesson: Never even hint at speculating a woman's age. Retribution will be swift!

Guest awaselito

thank you, well, as for re foaming, never done it but a good friend of mine has and has done it quit a few times. i guess i can ask him to help me out. thanks for the links. and as for the ps.I'm guessing you are about the same age as your buddy....a little life lesson: Never even hint at speculating a woman's age. Retribution will be swift!

not really, he's 22 and i'm 42. his mom might be just a bit older or the same age but we'll leave that to my, i think.lol again thanks.

Guest awaselito
vintage-ar is another good source for AR replacement surrounds, he's got an ebay store. the AR91 was the easiest refoam job i've ever done, it would be a good project for a first timer.

thanks, i will look into all this.

• 1 month later...
Guest ARman

what size are the woofers? 6" 8" or 10"? if u r in the UK last time i bought some foams i got a spare pair for each as it was post free for the second pair n half the price the 10" were £5 a pair £2.50 for the second BUT if u r ARs have the almino magnets DO not chance then refoam them they will go for ever

Regars b gl ARman

thank you, well, as for re foaming, never done it but a good friend of mine has and has done it quit a few times. i guess i can ask him to help me out.

Take a look at the MSound web page here:

http://www.citlink.net/~msound/

He gives step-by-step instructions with good pictures. Refoaming is not hard, but it does take some patience and skill. If you are at all handy or have ever built models or hifi kits, you probably have the skills needed. And it's good to have a friend to lean on. For many of us here, part of the fun is being able to say "I did that myself." But if you are not one to take that on, there are shops such as Carl's and others that will do it for you. Good luck!

Kent

Archived