slight dent in UMR of AR9

kkc

I am looking at possibly buying an AR9 where the UMR has a dent. I cannot physically check out the speaker, but I have attached a picture. Is this likely to be a problem? Or can it be just popped out given that the UMR is a half horn + soft dome.

There's also a pic of the lmr - as you can see this ones been popped out which makes me wonder why the owner did not pop out the umr too..!

Thanks in advance for any tips.

post-103149-1210883480.jpg

post-103149-1210883495.jpg

I am looking at possibly buying an AR9 where the UMR has a dent. I cannot physically check out the speaker, but I have attached a picture. Is this likely to be a problem? Or can it be just popped out given that the UMR is a half horn + soft dome.

There's also a pic of the lmr - as you can see this ones been popped out which makes me wonder why the owner did not pop out the umr too..!

You are very unlikely to hear that dent in the UMR and if you can hear the dent in the LMR you're super-human.

You may, or may not, be able to remove the dent from the UMR - probably not if it has been there for any length of time. It'll just "re-dent" as soon as you let-go of it.

The big question is how it got that way in the first place and if real damage was done.

Friend of mine has two dented UMRs and they sound fine. I have two UMRs (in a box) that were never dented and don't sound fine.

You "pays your money and takes your chances."

I wouldn't over-pay for them because you may have to start an eBay quest for UMRs.

Bret

Just in case you had not seen inside the UMR and wondered what was underneath the surface material, I've attached two pictures from the Library for your interest.

post-100645-1210941431.jpg

post-100645-1210941516.jpg

The easiest way to remove the dent is to use a small sewing needle or safety pin and prick the dented-in portion and gently pull it out, then withdraw the pin. Usually, the dent will be cured, but a small crease might still be present. The tiny pin hole is completely immaterial to the acoustic performance (as is the dent itself), but there's nothing worse than to have to look at the dent over and over. Some people have also tried using a vacuum cleaner with accessory hose attached, and use the raw end to try to remove the dent, but that might put too much stress on the dome itself and even possibly damage the suspension itself.

--Tom Tyson

I didn't buy the speakers in the end. the seller admitted that he had run them at high volume even after the foam on the woofers had disintegrated to the extent that he had to help one of the cones re-seat itself in the voice coil slot. What a shame to treat AR9s (or indeed any decent or better speaker) like that.

Archived