Need help identifying woofer in my ar-6 speakers

Guest loopedly

Guest loopedly

I just purchased a set of ar-6 speakers. They do not contain orginal speakers, however so I'd like some input as to what is going on in these cabinets...lol. The Tweeter is now a Vifa D27gt-35 . The woofer has a translucent cone and the EIA suggests Fisher, but I'm leary. The codes on the speaker are X3890 1056 8941 . and written on the magnet in marker is 8157. They look like they were installed well. Can anybody help me out with the make of the woofer and if this is an adequate replacement for the original? Thanks. Attached is pictures.

post-103131-1208222408.jpg

post-103131-1208222462.jpg

I just purchased a set of ar-6 speakers. They do not contain orginal speakers, however so I'd like some input as to what is going on in these cabinets...lol. The Tweeter is now a Vifa D27gt-35 . The woofer has a translucent cone and the EIA suggests Fisher, but I'm leary. The codes on the speaker are X3890 1056 8941 . and written on the magnet in marker is 8157. They look like they were installed well. Can anybody help me out with the make of the woofer and if this is an adequate replacement for the original? Thanks. Attached is pictures.

I'd be fairly certain that these aren't going to sound much like the original. Whether it's adequate or not depends on your ear.

Guest loopedly
I'd be fairly certain that these aren't going to sound much like the original. Whether it's adequate or not depends on your ear.

I've never heard them in their original form. I just want to know if these are appropriate replacements for use with the cross-overs.

I've never heard them in their original form. I just want to know if these are appropriate replacements for use with the cross-overs.

You will need to look-up those two driver specs on the net and see what is recommended for the crossover and cabinet size.

That woofer may or may not be compatible with that enclosure.

You do not have AR-6's but maybe you are still happy with them?

If you are not happy, you will need to track down both used AR-6 drivers on eBay, for just one source example.

If you want the AR-6 speaker sound, you will need to go all the way, only with original drivers though.

Guest loopedly
You will need to look-up those two driver specs on the net and see what is recommended for the crossover and cabinet size.

That woofer may or may not be compatible with that enclosure.

You do not have AR-6's but maybe you are still happy with them?

If you are not happy, you will need to track down both used AR-6 drivers on eBay, for just one source example.

If you want the AR-6 speaker sound, you will need to go all the way, only with original drivers though.

I've found the tweeter online, selling at just under 30$ a piece. The only reference to the woofer I could find is from ebay in italy and item had been removed. 1056 suggests Fisher which could be bad or good (mostlikely bad) but the speakers seem to be of fantastic quality and sound wonderful. The magnets are large and they seem to be well made. The wires to the positive and negative are well soldiered and there is no splice in the middle of the wire. I have not inspected the crossovers to see if they are original as I do not know what the originals look like. These sound nicer than my AR-2a speakers even after I disassembled the pots on the ar-2a's, cleaned them out and snded the corrosion off the contact surfaces. Truth be told, I purchased these with the intention of selling them, not realizing that the speakers were replaced. I just don't know if what I have is a legitimate upgrade or an amateur homejob since I am ignorant as to the technical data invlved with speakers. I buy and sell a lot of tube gear, but tubes are cut and dry. I am a pretty resourceful person and yet, am unable to identify the subs

I believe I purchased a pair of those woofers about 10 or 20 years ago.

They were either from Madisound, or A&S Speakers, or Just Speakers.

Might be a BC design. Expect the foam to be rotted by now.

Archived