AR=6 Tweeter Replacement

fromwm

Can someone please help recommend a pair of tweeters for my 1973 AR-6 loudspeakers?

I've just completed restoring my AR-6 loudspeakers, which look wonderful. I did everything I was suppose to do... refoam the woofers, clean the pots, replace the grill cloth, and restore the cabinets.

When I hooked them up to music, the high frequencies gradually began to disappear. After an hour, they became midrange speakers. Upon further inspection, I noticed the adhesives separated from both the cone and frame. After sitting idle for 25 years, I suppose they when into "shock". I tried, as suggested, using Aleene's Quick Dry Tacky Glue. It didn't help. After all, these loudspeakers are 35 years old, so I guess this is to be expected.

My tweeters are the type where the connection to the terminals are made in the front. From what I have gathered reading throughout these forums and elsewhere, the crossover frequency changed as well as the tweeter (connection in the rear) and the pot was replaced with a switch. And because of the changes, to maintain the correct "voicing", I should try to replace my tweeters with the same hind.

Because of the their age, every other ones I found appear to be in just about the same condition as mine. I feel the only thing I can do is replace them with something brand new. This may mean replacing the crossovers as well (1800 Hz). If anyone can recommend a replacement which is voiced similar to my older tweeter, or any other suggestions, it is truly appreciated. Thank you!

My tweeters are the type where the connection to the terminals are made in the front. From what I have gathered reading throughout these forums and elsewhere, the crossover frequency changed as well as the tweeter (connection in the rear) and the pot was replaced with a switch. And because of the changes, to maintain the correct "voicing", I should try to replace my tweeters with the same hind.

Assuming that the pot was really replaced with a switch (I think the overseas version of the 6 with the narrower front trim molding came with a switch originally, not a pot), if what you want is the "correct" voicing, what you need to start with is putting the pot back. Removing the pot is what people do when they want change the voicing.

If you can't find a suitable vintage AR tweeter, I'd start with the cone unit that AB Techservices sells as a replacement for the AR-4 tweeter or 2ax midrange. At least it'll cross at the right frequency. You'll either have to drill a hole in the front of the cabinet to bring tweeter wires out the front to the original terminal or find where the internal wiring connects to it and wire it internally.

Hello fromwm,

Before you attempt retrofit your tweeters with AB-Tech replacements or anything else brand new, I would try to source a pair of AR-7, AR-17 or AR-18 tweeters. The AR-18 tweeters in particular are always showing up on eBay, and at a reasonable cost. In the promotional flyers on the AR-7, AR states that the tweeter used in the AR-7 is the same design as used in the AR-6. The AR-17 and AR-18 carried this design forward but used ferrofluid for better power handling capacity. Aside from the backwired-lead issue genek had mentioned, any of the above are drop-in replacements. The only difference is the crossover frequency for the AR-6 vs. others mentioned, which is 1800hz vs. 2000hz., which I don't think will have a significant effect on the voicing of your speaker.

While there may be minor variations in this very successful tweeter design across models (and it is one of AR's best), I think this is your best bet. I'm looking for a pair of AR-6's myself, and if they had a tweeter problems, that's what I would do.

Finally, maybe one of the more knowledgeable members of the forum could chime in here. Is the AR-6 tweeter identical to AR-7?

Good luck in your restoration.

Best Regards,

Rich W

The pot was never removed, as I mentioned, it was cleaned.

I did try AB Tech Services, but they did not have a near replacement.

MY mistake, I thought when you said "the pot was replaced with a switch" you were talking about your speakers.

According to the 1979 AR parts list, 1.25" tweeter 1200005-0 was used in the 6, 7 and 4xa, so a tweeter from any of those should be a drop-in.

Thank you all for your valued feedback!

I do have question. When you say part number 1200005-0 was used in the 6, 7 and 4xa, did the AR-8 use a different tweeter?

I just looked at the 1986 parts list, and it adds the 8 to the list for the same part number, so it should be the same tweeter.

• 2 weeks later...
Connected behind the front tweeter connection terminal on the AR-6 are two wires. One is solid-green and the other is solid-yellow. Would anyone happen know which is positive and which is negative? Thank you!

Sorry didn't see your question before, the yellow wire is connected to the +/red mark on the tweeter.

BRgds Klaus

Thank you Klaus for your reply. I was able to find a replacement under the "for sale" topic on this forum. This person is truly a unique individual. He asked for my shipping address and sent them completely free. Didn't ask for a penny, and packaged them flawlessly.

Nevertheless, I was able to use my front connections, so didn't need to mount them from within the enclosure. Thank you anyway! My AR-6's are finally done... they look and sound stunning!!!

Thanks!

Archived