AR 3/4 inch 4 ohm tweeters at PE

Carlspeak

Parts Express has some shielded fabric dome tweeters with AR logo on the front plate on clearance for $12 with price reduced to $8 if you by 4 or more.

Can't vouch for their quality or dispersion characteristics but these can't be any worse than what ABT is offering.

Parts Express has some shielded fabric dome tweeters with AR logo on the front plate on clearance for $12 with price reduced to $8 if you by 4 or more.

Can't vouch for their quality or dispersion characteristics but these can't be any worse than what ABT is offering.

Hi, Carl!!

That PE tweeter with the AR logo is 3 3/4 inches in diameter.

Carl, have you figured out a cost effective way to use tweeters like this in the 4.5 inch opening in the AR-3a?

Regards,

Jerry

Based on the description and the customer review posted, these appear to be factory seconds of the AR-302/303/338 replacement tweeter that ABT sells.

Hi, Carl!!

That PE tweeter with the AR logo is 3 3/4 inches in diameter.

Carl, have you figured out a cost effective way to use tweeters like this in the 4.5 inch opening in the AR-3a?

Regards,

Jerry

Build an adapter plate like it do.

If it is the 303 replacement type, KK's tweeter study indicates it will need a parallel inductor around .07 mH due to it's inherent low order roll off below 5 khz. :blink:

I have a few on order and will report some test results in a week or two.

• 4 weeks later...

I purchased some of the PE tweeters for purposes of testing them. Attached is a summary report.

Well, almost attached. I tried several times to upload the (slightly larger than 1/2 MB) 6 page .pdf file and the process kept getting hung up.

So, if you want to see it, PM me and I'll gladly send it to you. It's got a table and 6 figures which include impedance/phase plots and power response plots.

Note: The scales on the power response charts are a bit hard to read at the normal .pdf format scaling. They are at good resolution and can easily be enlarged in order to read them.

I found the P.E. tweeters seem to behave similarly to a 1 inch fabric dome tweeter even though P.E. calls them 3/4 inch. I also concluded they were a reasonable substitute at the given price point. My test units are for sale with adapter plates. If anyone is interested, PM me for pricing.

After testing the dispersion characteristics of the 6 tweeters, I put a spare 3a speaker (containing an original 3/4 inch dome tweeter I series wired directly at the front with a 6 uF cap) on my test stand and ran another set of on/off-axis plots and was quite amazed at the results. The dispersion was superior to the P.E. tweeters - much like those claimed many times here.

Just how dramatic these differences are in a real world listening environment, I haven't tested that yet.

PE tech guy says the part number for the tweeter is AR- 2-11-007. The part number for the 6-Ohm AR-303 / 303-a tweeter is 2-11-003-1. So the PE unit is not a 303. Perhaps it is from a series later than the AR-303 with the same faceplate?

Cheers,

PE tech guy says the part number for the tweeter is AR- 2-11-007. The part number for the 6-Ohm AR-303 / 303-a tweeter is 2-11-003-1. So the PE unit is not a 303. Perhaps it is from a series later than the AR-303 with the same faceplate?

Cheers,

Each of my tweeters has two sets of number ink stamped on the back. I don't know if they are part numbers or not.

AR-218V

97 13

Oh yes, and a 'Made in Taiwan' sticker

Each of my tweeters has two sets of number ink stamped on the back. I don't know if they are part numbers or not.

AR-218V

97 13

Carl thank you for your work and the test paper you sent.

first I have real 303 tweeters and these the only thing I see different is the 218v has sheilding it was for the smaller seround speakers of the same as the 303. this would be great to put to Ken Kantor

next as far as the off axis of the AR3a tweeter I believe that it is because of the hard dome Roy Allison made his pulsating dome tweeter hard dome. also it would be great to compare the two for responce. I was thinking of doping one of the 218v tweeters with something to make it hard and see what the off axis would be then.

Jim

AR-218V

97 13

Is that what you were sent when you ordered PE #279-280? Or are you referring to tweeters from a prior purchase? AR produced the AR-208V two-way magnetically shielded speaker designed for use next to CRTs. It has a 1/2-in-diam. tweeter in a 2-7/8-in-diam. faceplate; it was made in 1995; for how long I don't know. The tweeter you describe sounds like it is from an AR-218V made in early 1997.

Cheers,

Is that what you were sent when you ordered PE #279-280? Or are you referring to tweeters from a prior purchase? AR produced the AR-208V two-way magnetically shielded speaker designed for use next to CRTs. It has a 1/2-in-diam. tweeter in a 2-7/8-in-diam. faceplate; it was made in 1995; for how long I don't know. The tweeter you describe sounds like it is from an AR-218V made in early 1997.

Cheers,

Yes, John, that is what was sent to answer your first question.

Archived