What aftermarket tweeter would work well in Model 6?

Guest 2tubular

Looks like it might not be easy to find a factory model 6 tweeter. Which aftermarket is a good choice?

thanks,

Dave

Sorry I don't have the answer, but you might ask some of the KLH experts (Andy, for one) what other models used the same tweeter as the Six. That way you could broaden your search.

There has been a lot of discussion of replacement tweeters in the AR forum. You might look through there, but replacing a tweeter is not as easy as finding one that will fit. The xover point and other factors (beyond my understanding) must also be considered.

Good luck in your quest!

Kent

Looks like it might not be easy to find a factory model 6 tweeter. Which aftermarket is a good choice?

thanks,

Dave

Hi there;

There are usually several KLH tweeters offered on ebay in any given week.

More than one model speaker used the same tweeter as well.

thanks,

Dave

The question presupposes a falacy which is that one tweeter is pretty much like another. This is wrong and is demonstrated by the fact that Henry Kloss apparantly tried many dozens, even hundreds of designs before settling on the tweeter used in KLH Model 6. Small changes in tweeters can make a big difference in sound which probably explains why there are so many of them. In fact, it wouldn't surprise me if there are more kinds of tweeters and more models of tweeters than all other driver types combined.

When you replace a tweeter or any other element in a loudspeaker, you are effectively re-engineering it and you are to a degree on your own. You probably won't exactly match the performance of the original, in fact it may be hard to come close. Tough fact for owners of KLH Model 6 (I have two pairs myself) is that the tweeter in this speaker is particularly unique. Unlike AR3 and AR3a, it does not have remarkably wide dispersion. However, it has superb transient response, a remarkable ability to make a 1/16 of an inch excursion (unusual for a driver of its type), and crossed over around 1.5 khz (very low for its type) if I remember correctly. It's cone was made of a hard shell like material as KLH described so it won't break up and unlike the AR tweeters of that era, it did not deteriorate over time, at least not as far as I can tell. Until a few years ago, I'd have said finding a suitable single driver replacement would have been impossible but there are now some tweeters which I think can be adapted for this use even if you can't or don't mount them in the same enclosure. Ones I'd look at first are made by Morel. Personally, I'd look at the MDT-20 and MDT-30. Both have an Fs of 650 hz, FR of 1600 to 25khz, a sensitivity of 90db and are 8 ohms. I would not expect it to be just a drop in replacement though, you'd need to adjust the crossover capacitor and the relative loudness to the woofer with an L-pad at the very least to get the best match. At twice the price, I don't know what advantages the MDT 30 has over the MDT 20 except for increased power handing and therefore greater higher maximum output. Probably the MDT 20 would be my choice. One nice thing about KLH Model 6 is that by removing the link between the woofer and tweeter, you can operate them separately. This will be of real value in comparing an experimental replacement with one which works properly in another unit by opening the link and operating that tweeter alone and if the current tweeter is damaged and still operating to a degree, you can remove it from the circuit also by opening the link and operating the woofer alone.

There are other KLH speakers which use the same tweeter including KLH Model 17, 5, and 12. If you buy what looks like a drop in replacement, be sure you get the 8 ohm version, there are other KLH speakers which use a 4 ohm version. If you do re-engineer it, it helps to have one that works perfectly to compare your own efforts to. Good luck.

Archived