3 way switch only works in extended...

Guest scale21

Doug, I think I have the info I need now.

Thanks a lot.

Hi Doug:

Just thought I'd update you on the upgrade of the resistors and capacitors.

I ordered from Solen here in Canada, and soldered them into both crossovers, not too hard at all.

The 3 way switch on one is fixed and the new capacitors I think really helped improve the sound.

Along with the new surrounds I did, I'm very pleased with the way they turned out and sound.

Thanks for your help.

PS:

I noticed that many on the board stated that finding 13uf caps was very difficult, I guess in the U.S.

Solen Canada (solen.ca) sells these, which I ordered.

I did see a number of on line suppliers in the U.S. sold Solen, but not the 13uf.

Here's the part number if anyone wants to order from them.

P/N - PB1300 (13 mfd 400v 27x45 France 5.85$)

Fast Capacitors 400v PB Series Metallized Polypropylene

I also went with Metal Oxide Resistors

P/N - MO1000J1R0 1.0 Ohms 10 W Taiwan 0.53$

P/N - MO1000J1R5 1.5 Ohms 10 W Taiwan 0.53$

That's the way to do 'er Bill! :P

It's great getting things to work the way they're supposed to isn't it?

When I bought the first pair of original Advents a few years ago and listened to them, I thought, "What's the big deal?. They don't sound like I remember them. Why do most people rave about them?" They sounded kind of boomy with no real deep bass.

Turned out the sealer between the woofer baskets and cabinets was all dried out and falling out. I went on a mission to Home Depot and got some Mortite and installed it. There it was! That famous Advent bass and smoothness!

I wonder if scale21 ever got his going? :rolleyes:

I don't know why the parts houses here in the states don't seem to want to stock the 13uF value. Maybe they're all superstitious. :angry:

Thanks for the parts references in your post.

Doug

Archived