AR94 woofer replacement query

Guest langleycello

Guest langleycello

Greetings all,

This is my first foray into the world of AR (they are rare as hens teeth in Australia), and my query relates to a pair of AR94s which I found yesterday in a dumpster. They unfortunately have their woofers missing, but the Xovers and tweeters are extant and the cabs are OK. I just wonder if anyone has had any success supplanting the original woofers with equivalents? Something perhaps from the Peerless range?

I'd value any thoughts as to how I may be able to breath some life into these old warhorses, without spending the earth..

Many thanks,

Stephen (from Melbourne)

I'd say don't mess with cheap equivalents that may not work well. AB Tech sells proper replacements for about $65 (+Shipping).

You've got a steal there and a great speaker to restore. If you want the best sound out of a good speaker, go with the least risk.

Guest langleycello
I'd say don't mess with cheap equivalents that may not work well. AB Tech sells proper replacements for about $65 (+Shipping).

You've got a steal there and a great speaker to restore. If you want the best sound out of a good speaker, go with the least risk.

Thanks Carl,

I had no idea whatsoever that replacements were still available. Definitely my best bet. Do you have a URL for AB Tech, by chance, I don't know of them? I hope they ship internationally.

I look forward to the project evolving. I notice the TNT article re Xover upgrade etc.

Cheers and thanks again,

Stephen

Guest langleycello
Thanks Carl,

I had no idea whatsoever that replacements were still available. Definitely my best bet. Do you have a URL for AB Tech, by chance, I don't know of them? I hope they ship internationally.

I look forward to the project evolving. I notice the TNT article re Xover upgrade etc.

Cheers and thanks again,

Stephen

Just found AB Tech. Shall investigate my rebuild options hereon. I initially thought that the woofers were two of the same, but there appears to be a mid and woffer for the AR94. I would be interested to hear of others adventures with Xover cap replacements too.

Thanks again,

Stephen

post-101636-1204420379.jpg

Just found AB Tech. Shall investigate my rebuild options hereon. I initially thought that the woofers were two of the same, but there appears to be a mid and woffer for the AR94. I would be interested to hear of others adventures with Xover cap replacements too.

Thanks again,

steve hi from boston i own a pair of 93s which are simular to the 94s i upgraded them using bravox woofers and vifa tweeters also i would replace the caps in the crossovers too goodluck tim. you are better off buying new woofers then replacing with original factory stock since ar cut cost on those models to save money and the qualty of the woofers are better now then back in the 70s and 80s

here is a photo

• 1 month later...

I'm intrigued by the photo. The tweeter shown does not look like the original AR tweeter. I believe the original is a cone tweeter. Also the woofer (yes, its a woofer below the tweeter, not the full range (there was never a mid range only in the AR94)) is not a paper cone whereas in the original it was a paper cone. It looks like someone has already tried upgrading the speakers, perhaps the XOs too. Suggest that for a first phase, just replace the missing fullrange and if you like the sound, then move onto replacing the XO caps, inductors and internal wiring. Normal speaker placement in the AR94 is tweeter, woofer and then a full range (no mid range only unit). The woofer needs the flex provided by being placed in the middle of the cabinet, place it at the bottom and you will lose quite a bit of lower bass..... I know because I made that mistake already....!

thanks for the reply yes i did upgrade everything in the speakers. i bought them new from a

store called leachmere in boston in 85-87 for about 300.00 they had a special deal with ar to sell this model for a cheaper price. the paper cones disinergrated on me in 98 . so i found these woofers made for energy speakers by bravox(a brazilian company that makes a lot of oem speaker products)

also the tweeters are vifa i also updated the caps in the crossovers too . these speakers sound good with solid state i tried tubes in the past. my system sounds very sweet with my ar es1 turntable goodluck nefertem

Archived