CD-6 repair in NYC?

Guest mcdj

First post! I tried searching the forum, but it has some mighty stringent rules. No 3 letter word searches?

Anyhow, my beloved CD-6s have developed a small rip in the outer edge of the woofer. Funny thing, I can't hear the difference. Shouldn't the difference be obvious?

Regardless, I guess it's time to get them fixed up. I've checked out refoaming how-tos and it looks a bit time consuming and messy. I'd much rather pay someone to do it.

Does anyone know a reputable repair center in NYC? Shipping them off would be cost prohibitive.

Thanks!

mcdj

p.s. I've owned the CD6s since 1989. Actually this is my second pair. I'm absolutely in love with the sound. but I'm not entirely averse to finding a modern replacement, providing the SQ is similar if not better. Anyone know a similar sounding speaker in the $500 range? Thanks again.

• 2 weeks later...
First post! I tried searching the forum, but it has some mighty stringent rules. No 3 letter word searches?

Anyhow, my beloved CD-6s have developed a small rip in the outer edge of the woofer. Funny thing, I can't hear the difference. Shouldn't the difference be obvious?

Regardless, I guess it's time to get them fixed up. I've checked out refoaming how-tos and it looks a bit time consuming and messy. I'd much rather pay someone to do it.

Does anyone know a reputable repair center in NYC? Shipping them off would be cost prohibitive.

Thanks!

mcdj

p.s. I've owned the CD6s since 1989. Actually this is my second pair. I'm absolutely in love with the sound. but I'm not entirely averse to finding a modern replacement, providing the SQ is similar if not better. Anyone know a similar sounding speaker in the $500 range? Thanks again.

This maybe late, but CSP member Minh Luong has an excellent rep. He's in NYC. If you MUST replace the CD6s, I have sold Allison Fours in absolutely perfect condition for about $400 or so, so keep an eye on ebay. I don't have any to sell, but they do come up once in a while. Don't know why they are so under-priced. Also read these pages to see what other speakers folks recommend. In the smaller size, AR4x, KLH 17 and Rectilinear Mini IIIs have their followings and all of those are very cheap.

As far as the search, the administrator wrote how to use google to search only csp. Try searching on csp for "google" to find out how. Good luck!

Kent

• 10 months later...
Guest vintageaudioNY
This maybe late, but CSP member Minh Luong has an excellent rep. He's in NYC. If you MUST replace the CD6s, I have sold Allison Fours in absolutely perfect condition for about $400 or so, so keep an eye on ebay. I don't have any to sell, but they do come up once in a while. Don't know why they are so under-priced. Also read these pages to see what other speakers folks recommend. In the smaller size, AR4x, KLH 17 and Rectilinear Mini IIIs have their followings and all of those are very cheap.

As far as the search, the administrator wrote how to use google to search only csp. Try searching on csp for "google" to find out how. Good luck!

Kent

Guest vintageaudioNY

Hi, don't know if this has gone anywhere. I'm a new member and just joined because of my recent purchases of Allison Speakers. I've always read great things about them and now I know! I'm in NY (Long Island) and have refoamed MANY speakers and repaired lots of speakers for open coil connections, etc. Just repaired my tweeter and one of the mids from my CD9 speakers I picked up this weekend. I repaired a tweeter in my CD7 as well. In short, I can do many repairs and will not charge much, it's a hobby of mine and I like to see vintage speakers live on rather than get sold off in a parts sale. Let me know!

Thanks,

JoeO

Archived