New AR-2 owner-need assistance

Guest corcovado

Guest corcovado

Recently purchased a pair of AR-2's in excellent condition at our local Goodwill. All drivers work properly and the pots are even operable. I know these models don't have the upper response like the AR-2ax, but would a recap and use of a seperate supertweeter(like AR once offered for these models)help much or should I enjoy as is? Please excuse my ignorance, but your help would be greatly appreciated.

Recently purchased a pair of AR-2's in excellent condition at our local Goodwill. All drivers work properly and the pots are even operable. I know these models don't have the upper response like the AR-2ax, but would a recap and use of a seperate supertweeter(like AR once offered for these models)help much or should I enjoy as is? Please excuse my ignorance, but your help would be greatly appreciated.

Congratulations and welcome!

I would suggest listening to the speakers first, but the 40+ year old caps could probably need replacement. Lots of discussion in these pages about that. If you do recap, the choices are: cheap non-polarized electrolytics, inexpensive mylars or slightly more expensive polypropylenes such as Dayton or Solen.

If you do recap, listen again before adding a supertweeter, but if you look around, Radio Shack used to sell some nice ones (they go for big bux on ebay), MicroStatic made some specifically designed for AR and KLH (they run about 100 - 200 per pair on ebay. Photo attached) and recently I saw a guy selling some "prototype" add-on supertweeters on ebay (photo attached). OR: make your own. Some members have much more expertise in this area, but you could get some decent but inespensive tweeters (Tang Band comes to mind), put em in a little box and run them in parallel with the ARs.

Guest corcovado
Congratulations and welcome!

I would suggest listening to the speakers first, but the 40+ year old caps could probably need replacement. Lots of discussion in these pages about that. If you do recap, the choices are: cheap non-polarized electrolytics, inexpensive mylars or slightly more expensive polypropylenes such as Dayton or Solen.

If you do recap, listen again before adding a supertweeter, but if you look around, Radio Shack used to sell some nice ones (they go for big bux on ebay), MicroStatic made some specifically designed for AR and KLH (they run about 100 - 200 per pair on ebay. Photo attached) and recently I saw a guy selling some "prototype" add-on supertweeters on ebay (photo attached). OR: make your own. Some members have much more expertise in this area, but you could get some decent but inespensive tweeters (Tang Band comes to mind), put em in a little box and run them in parallel with the ARs.

JKent-Fantastic! That's exactly what I'm looking for. I'll replace the caps first and then decide yay or nay on the supertweeters. Thank you for your help and taking the time to post the pics. Greatly appreciated.

JKent-Fantastic! That's exactly what I'm looking for. I'll replace the caps first and then decide yay or nay on the supertweeters. Thank you for your help and taking the time to post the pics. Greatly appreciated.

Hi there;

Sit down and listen to them before doing anything else, just enjoy.

They usually lay horizontal, with the one un-finished side downward.

Do not go crazy turning the pot all over the place, the wire in those posts are very fine and wearing through them is not too difficult.

Read all tips on this site that pertain to modifying a speaker, AR in particular.

If you make any attempt to remove the grille cloth frame, I can almost guarantee you will damage, if not destroy the older frame and maybe even a driver, on a AR-2.

Archived