worst thig about this great hobby

roundhome

This is just a hobby but there are those that feel the need to make a profit off it no matter what .

IT has become not much fun I have been saving empty cabinets from guys that strip AR speakers to put them back together but the guys on e.ebay that feel the need to run the price up just so they can reasale the parts at a profit make it no fun I know there will always be these guys but in the long run he would probly pay a lot less and so would we if the would let the guys that don't do this for profit win its like you have to come to me to get the parts for your hobby and pay what I ask this is the last LST i need to fix up and i'm done.

I have watched this in other hobbies guys watch ebay and read the forums for what we need then they buy it all up and try to sell it to the hooby guys

End of rant

Guest speedracer
This is just a hobby but there are those that feel the need to make a profit off it no matter what .

IT has become not much fun I have been saving empty cabinets from guys that strip AR speakers to put them back together but the guys on e.ebay that feel the need to run the price up just so they can reasale the parts at a profit make it no fun I know there will always be these guys but in the long run he would probly pay a lot less and so would we if the would let the guys that don't do this for profit win its like you have to come to me to get the parts for your hobby and pay what I ask this is the last LST i need to fix up and i'm done.

I have watched this in other hobbies guys watch ebay and read the forums for what we need then they buy it all up and try to sell it to the hooby guys

End of rant

My complaint are the people who "gut" good speakers and sell off the parts, the whole idea of ebay stinks for the buyer but on the other hand the convenience of "shopping" for your item(s) does make it easier. You unfortunatly (over)pay for that service. I try to go to as many yard sale/thrift stores as possible, but it's hit or miss and very time consuming.

Guest Tinnitus
My complaint are the people who "gut" good speakers and sell off the parts, the whole idea of ebay stinks for the buyer but on the other hand the convenience of "shopping" for your item(s) does make it easier. You unfortunatly (over)pay for that service. I try to go to as many yard sale/thrift stores as possible, but it's hit or miss and very time consuming.

FWIW, this is a universal complaint with any collectible. Ebay is greatly increasing the availability of parts, but at the same time chewing up perfectly good, or at least highly repairable, items in the process. At least there are probably fewer speakers going straight to landfills or getting their guts ripped out and replaced with chinese drivers because of some easily repairable issue.

FWIW, this is a universal complaint with any collectible. Ebay is greatly increasing the availability of parts, but at the same time chewing up perfectly good, or at least highly repairable, items in the process. At least there are probably fewer speakers going straight to landfills or getting their guts ripped out and replaced with chinese drivers because of some easily repairable issue.

Hi there;

Up until this last May, when USPS dropped their Economy shipping, I had bought more than my share of entire speaker systems.

I did buy an AR-2, with an average of a $35.00 shipping and handling charge was a fair cost, with packing materials.

Now with USPS Air as the only USPS option, the cost would be about, $55.00 - $70.00 and this is with the speaker at about 30 - 35 pound fully packaged including any packaging materials.

If I really want that particular speaker systen, I guess I'll have to bite the bullet and pay.

The S&H cost is up about 50% or more to Canada.

Some sellers have a flat rate which can be much higher.

To buy the parts only means the s&h cost on the dual tweeters alone are around $20.00.

The woofer might be around $25.00 - $35.00.

The crossover maybe $10.00.

The seller would have only three smaller boxes to store and to ship and maybe they make more money than the speaker sale alone, plus whatever is made on shipping charges, with discounts.

The cabinet, naked, might cost $30.00 - $40.00 or more with the larger packaging.

The pieces might be worth more to the seller than the original item.

I still like to see the members that find a speaker system or more at the curbside or dumpster.

Guest speedracer

Nobody likes to pay more for something than it's worth, but if you need / want something, you will do what you need to. Last sunday I drove up to Boston from Philly to pick-up a pair of 3a's, loooong ride !! might fix 'em, might use 'em for parts, got them for a good price but with these things being more and more scarce, I'll do what I need to do keep my stuff working, nobody's making replacement parts so what is one to do ?

First off, this is a hobby I took up to have fun and pleasure. Once it gets too competitvie,too expensive, or worse just plain silly prices than why am I still in it? Because I love music and I like to have a really good stereo system to appreciate it and I like to tweak around with the components. And thankfully, there are many great components out there.

AR speakers are great. I love their sound. But if I was coming into this hobby today and had to lay out a thusand dollars to get a pair AR3a's up to snuff, well I think I just my get myself something else. I hate chasing around things that everyone else wants and is willing to pay anything for just to say they have it or impress others.

I purchased all my AR speakers fairly cheap and have had fun making them sound as good as they do. But a fool I'm not. There are other speakers out there competitively or modestly priced that I would be perfectly happy with for the rest of my life.

I rarely deal with EBay any more. Too competitive and too many scammers out there now.

As someone here so eloquently reminds us - it's all about the music. Well, at least for me.

Guest speedracer
First off, this is a hobby I took up to have fun and pleasure. Once it gets too competitvie,too expensive, or worse just plain silly prices than why am I still in it? Because I love music and I like to have a really good stereo system to appreciate it and I like to tweak around with the components. And thankfully, there are many great components out there.

AR speakers are great. I love their sound. But if I was coming into this hobby today and had to lay out a thusand dollars to get a pair AR3a's up to snuff, well I think I just my get myself something else. I hate chasing around things that everyone else wants and is willing to pay anything for just to say they have it or impress others.

I purchased all my AR speakers fairly cheap and have had fun making them sound as good as they do. But a fool I'm not. There are other speakers out there competitively or modestly priced that I would be perfectly happy with for the rest of my life.

I rarely deal with EBay any more. Too competitive and too many scammers out there now.

As someone here so eloquently reminds us - it's all about the music. Well, at least for me.

There are still bargins to be found, I just bought a pair (ebay) of 2AX's, original, grilles never removed, delivered to my door,........... $138.00 !

There are still bargins to be found, I just bought a pair (ebay) of 2AX's, original, grilles never removed, delivered to my door,........... $138.00 !

I agree that eBay does have some good buys. You can pick up some AR-4x's for example just about any time you do a search. If you can travel to pick them up, even better.

Guest speedracer
I agree that eBay does have some good buys. You can pick up some AR-4x's for example just about any time you do a search. If you can travel to pick them up, even better.

Holy Cow, there are SO many 4x's out there, they should be free to whoever wants them !!

Archived