Repair Woofer or Sell As Is?

Charles218

I have decided to part with the DQ-10's that I purchased new in the 70's. Since moving just over eleven years ago they have seen probably ten hours of total use. My wife has always thought that they were ugly and wants them out of the living room. One of the woofers needs repair, the foam has deteriorated. I'm curious to know if anyone here has done their own foam replacement and can advise me to either make the repair myself or just sell it as is. I have never replaced the foam on any speaker and have a little fear that I might do more harm then good. I found this link to a do it yourself repair kit but am not certain if this would be the best route. (http://cgi.ebay.com/Speaker-Foam-Dahlquist-DQ-10-DQ-20-Speakers-FS-10F_W0QQitemZ5851052584QQihZ008QQcategoryZ3276QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem)

My hope is to find someone to purchase them that will keep them and use them, as opposed to parting them out for the profit. If anyone has info on this company and their repair kit, I would like to hear from you.

Charles,

Looks as if it would be OK. There are a number of places on-line to get surround kits. Someone more knowledgeable may chime in with who has the best. Check out the video at Speakerworks Northwest on refoaming. Watch the video and then decide if it may be to much work. It actually is not that hard to do. I only started a couple of years ago and now have done quite a few myself. The first time is always the scariest. Good luck.

James

http://www.speakerworks.net/repair_video.html

James,

After looking at the video and browsing their web site, I am going to go ahead and put the new surround on myself. I'm just thinking, I would certainly prefer to buy a speaker system that was up and running, ready to go. The video makes it look like there isn't too much to mess up.

Thanks for your response!:-)

Charles

Archived