Grill cloth repairs

Hi there;

I have never read about any problems using regular staples when re-fastening old grill cloths on the old masonite frames.

I just re-plenished my supply of regular Arrow T-50 staples and I came across item #506SS Stainless Steel staples, to fit their T-50 staple gun.

Sometimes when I staple, I have found the wood to be extremely dry and much harder than when new.

The staples almost just bounce off the wood, or plain just don't penetrate too far into the wood.

This S/S version may stand up and give a little better service.

I hope this tip is of help.

>Hi there;

>

>I have never read about any problems using regular staples

>when re-fastening old grill cloths on the old masonite

>frames.

>

>I just re-plenished my supply of regular Arrow T-50 staples

>and I came across item #506SS Stainless Steel staples, to fit

>their T-50 staple gun.

This may be too long, being 3/8" long.

>

>Sometimes when I staple, I have found the wood to be extremely

>dry and much harder than when new.

>

>The staples almost just bounce off the wood, or plain just

>don't penetrate too far into the wood.

>

>This S/S version may stand up and give a little better

>service.

>

>I hope this tip is of help.

In re-checking at their web site, they list a Monel staple, model 504M at 1/4" long.

http://www.arrowfastener.com

I don't know enough about this material as to whether this is a stronger staple than the regular steel staple as they don't seem to stock it here.

• 2 weeks later...

From Wikipedia:

Monel

Monel is a trademark comprising a series of rustless (stainless) metal alloys, primarily composed of nickel (up to 67%) and copper, with some iron and other trace elements. It is resistant to corrosion and acids, and some alloys can withstand a fire in pure oxygen. It is commonly used in applications with highly corrosive conditions. Small additions of aluminum and titanium form an alloy with the same corrosion resistance, but with very high strength.

It was created by Robert Crooks Stanley for INCO in 1901, and named for company president Ambrose Monell.

Monel is used as the material for valve pistons in some higher quality trumpets e.g. Bach Stradivarius. It is also often used for kitchen sinks and in the frames of eyeglasses. Its corrosion resistant characteristic makes it ideal for marine applications such as piping systems, pump impellers and strainer baskets. Some alloys are completely non-magnetic and are used for anchor cable aboard minesweepers, housing magnetic field measurement equipment, and have applications in the oil drilling industry. Monel is typically much more expensive than stainless steel.

Monel is very hard to machine as it work hardens instantly with heat and does not harden into a constant matrix. It needs to be turned and worked at slow speeds and low feed rates

MONELĀ® is a trademark of Special Metals Corporation.

Rotosound pioneered the use of monel for bass strings, and these strings have been used on countless albums throughout the 60's and by such artists as the Who, Sting, John Deacon, and John Paul Jones.

See also

Cupronickel

Archived