KLH Model Thirteen Stereo Adaptor

Here are a couple of photos of a Model Thirteen I just refinished. The Thirteen was the stereo adaptor that KLH built after the FCC approved stereo radio! Thanks to Andy for his informative articles and posts.

This 13 is all original on the electronic component, except for the green caps over RCA jacks. The speaker is another story. It is apparently an Eight speaker with single driver and veneer (not

solid). A previous owner cut the back open, losing the label and original speaker wire. The guy I bought it from installed the RCA jack and masonite "patch"--a good job, so I left it alone. Someone had removed all the fiberglass, so I replaced that.

The speaker jack on the 13 is clever--it will accept the non-standard dual banana that was on the Eight, OR an RCA plug, plugged into the bottom of the 2 sockets. That's why the original dual banana plugs on the Eights had arrows molded in!

I haven't tested this extensively, but it does work.

I'll post photos of my refinished Model Eight later this week

Kent

Kent,

Nice example of the Thirteen, the cabinets look freshly oiled, what did you use? My Thirteen was bone dry when I found it, so I applied slightly warmed up mineral oil..it soaked it up like a sponge and brought out the beauty of the walnut veneer.

I never knew that about the speaker jack being dual bannana plug & rca plug. Leave it to KLH to make life easier since the rca jack was so widly used and the Model eights bannana plug was a bit of an oddball jack. I learn something new about KLH every day!

As was mentioned before, your speaker is a Model Eight unit slightly modified, but it's every bit the same as a Thirteen speaker and looks perfect with your adapter. Enjoy your Eight/Thirteen stereo-

Andy

Thanks Andy for the advice and compliments, and for your interesting & informative articles at antiqueradio.com.

This pair, as I think you know, was purchased from an ebayer who found it at a yard sale, in the RAIN!!! He had applied some oil, but I filled any small chips with Walnut Plastic Wood, sanded the cabinets lightly, then applied the finish. The earlier Eights are easier to work on since they are SOLID walnut and can be sanded pretty aggressively without fear of going through the veneer. I'm still experimenting, but here's my choice du jour:

One coat of Watco Danish Oil in Dark Walnut to even out the color. There are still some barely perceptible water marks but not bad.

Next, several coats of Watco Danish Oil in "Natural". This process takes several days.

Finally, I let it dry a week or so, then apply 2 coats of Minwax Antique Oil. This is almost like a Tung oil finish. It is wiped on and then, unlike the Danish Oil that soaks in for a half hour, you wipe it off and buff with a rag within 5 minutes. This gives a soft sheen to the finish.

That's my current method but as I said I'm still experimenting. Sometimes I "wet sand" with Watco Oil, following a method recommended in these pages.

btw--the real PAIN is the grill cloth. Seems they are always water-stained, and the coarse burlap-type cloth is just 5 1/8" x 10 1/8" to fit in a 9 7/8 x 4 7/8 opening. Removing, cleaning, replacing--what a pain! And of course it shrinks when you wash it! I was fortunate to find a couple of pieces of exact replacement cloth, which I washed, dyed (tea and coffee!) starched, ironed, and Scoth-guarded before replacing using a putty knife and Alene's Tacky Glue. Sheesh!

Anyone who has finishing tips--I'm all ears!

Kent

Archived