WTB: AR-7 Speakers

Guest Eunomians

Guest Eunomians

Thanks for the tip, but I am looking for a pair in good shape, ready to 'bump'!

If anybody has a nice & working pair of AR7s, please don't hesitate to email me or send me a message via this forum.

Cheers

> I am looking for a pair in good

>shape, ready to 'bump'!

OK, I give up. What does that mean?

Guest Eunomians

Colloquially,

'Bump': to 'play' pre-recorded music; jazz.

In this case, I am seeking AR7s that are in nice shape (not needing any major repairs), ready to plug & play... Or I should say, 'ready to bump' fresh out the shipping box ;)

Cheers :)

PS . Still looking for AR7s...

>Colloquially,

>

>'Bump': to 'play' pre-recorded music; jazz.

>

>In this case, I am seeking AR7s that are in nice shape (not

>needing any major repairs), ready to plug & play... Or I

>should say, 'ready to bump' fresh out the shipping box ;)

>

>Cheers :)

>

>PS . Still looking for AR7s...

Hi there;

A pair of NOS AR-7's went for about $400.00 on ebay a month or two ago.

Another pair in need of re-foam, just recently went for $50.00 on ebay.

Guest Eunomians

It seems like the relative worth of AR7s based on the Ebay Completed Auction Search is around $99. NOS items makes people go nuts; consequently, driving up the price temporarily to stratospheric heights. $400 is nuts, I think for that kind of $$$ I'd rather buy a World Designs WD25A pair.

I thought about bidding on that $30-$50 pair of AR7s on eBay recently, but the seller informed me that "upon a second glance, they're in very poor shape". I don't mind fixing the surrounds, but I do mind if the cabinets are so far beaten up that even Hollywood's finest cosmetic surgeons can't resurrect them from the dead.

Anyhow, the AR7 hunt is still on!

-Cheers

>It seems like the relative worth of AR7s based on the Ebay

>Completed Auction Search is around $99. NOS items makes

>people go nuts; consequently, driving up the price temporarily

>to stratospheric heights. $400 is nuts, I think for that kind

>of $$$ I'd rather buy a World Designs WD25A pair.

>

>I thought about bidding on that $30-$50 pair of AR7s on eBay

>recently, but the seller informed me that "upon a second

>glance, they're in very poor shape". I don't mind fixing

>the surrounds, but I do mind if the cabinets are so far beaten

>up that even Hollywood's finest cosmetic surgeons can't

>resurrect them from the dead.

>

>Anyhow, the AR7 hunt is still on!

>

>-Cheers

Hi there;

An interesting comment from the seller.

I am very certain that the buyer will not like to read that comment when he reads this topic.

The only finish that I am aware of that they came in, was vinyl finish.

Good luck on your quest.

Guest Eunomians

Well, "in poor shape" is quite subjective; I think it's the "second glance" that did it for me. A glance is just not enough. A second glance isn't either. Perhaps the speakers are in pretty darn good shape though, you never know - until you actually see them in person.

Overall, they seem to have been a good deal for such a low price.

Cheers

Just curious--why sevens? If Vern is correct, and they only came in the vinyl cabinets, that would detract from the visual aesthetics IMHO. And once vinyl is scuffed up you would have a tough time sprucing it up.

I admit I am not familiar with the sevens, so their sonic attributes may outweigh these considerations. I recently restored my old 4x's and a pair of 2ax's and love them. The twos are kind of big, but the fours are "just right."

Hi Jeff;

In my opinion, a cost cutting measure.

I believe that in some, most, or all cases, the enclosure costs more than the contents.

Walnut veneer was and is a major enclosure cost, as walnut has become quite a scarce commodity.

Done right, vinyl Walnut finish, factory applied, can be attractive.

Not as attractive as oiled Walnut, but to keep the costs down, and not affect the sound, some measures had to be taken to be competitive.

It may be a challenge, but the vinyl can be stripped and then the cabinets can be Walnut, Rosewood, painted piano gloss black or Oak veneered.

You would then own a pair of one of a kind AR-7's.

Good luck.

Guest Eunomians

You guys bring up interesting points. I am a huge fan of the oiled walnut cabs, and as of yet, I have not seen AR7s in person.

The reason as to why I want AR7s is so that I can have small speakers, with that AR sound, as an alternative to the big huge sound of my beastly AR3a's.

I've also been wanting to add AR7's to my AR3a's with a Dynaco Quadaptor.

I think that as time goes by, I am more and more intrigued with AR4x's - and I might actually end up purchasing the 4's instead - especially if they are oiled walnut to match my AR3a's. I would assume that the 4's are only a little bigger than the 7's based on specs that I've read, thus keeping with the idea of a smaller-type footprint. Plus, more bass response is nice.

Well, I might just go down the 4x route instead if I can't find good working/looking 7s for a good price.

Cheers

• 4 weeks later...
Guest charlie03m

>

>Well, I might just go down the 4x route instead if I can't

>find good working/looking 7s for a good price.

>

>Cheers

Hi,

If you are still looking, I have a pair of AR-7s, but they need

woofers. I was going to fix them up at some point, but I have ended up inheriting some other speakers and have too many at this point, and wouldn't want much for them. I believe woofers for these are

around 50.

Charlie.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Eunomians

Thanks folks for all the insight and help. I am happy to announce that I finally picked up a pair of AR7s recently (they are sill in transit as I type).

Cheers

Archived