Wanted: AR90,91,92

Bret

I have a pair of AR 90's. The mids were professionally replaced back in 95 with original AR parts. The tweeters are original but all of the woofers have rotted foam. Guessing by the age of the speakers I would assume the drivers would need replacement as well. The cabinets are in good condition but one has a small blemish on the side and the other has a larger ding that has been covered by a laminated veneer. The screens do not have any tears on the corners and are in excellent condition. Otherwise these speakers appear to be fully functional and just need to have some restoration work done. I do not have the time and resources to complete this project and would like for someone who would appreciate them to own these classics. I do not have any pics available yet but I will as soon as I can get them converted to digital format.

Feel free to reach me at agricago@cox.net or post here on the board.

Robert

Robert -

Are you the original owner? I ask because I've seen some AR veneer delaminate after having an edge "cut" by a corner ding. Do you think that's the original veneer or can you tell it is a patch?

I'd be interested in seeing the pictures when you get them. Of course, one of the big obsticals to buying a pair of speakers the size of AR90s is the shipping weight.

I'm in Mississippi. Are we 3/4 of the country away from each other?

Also, obviously, I'd like to have some idea of what you might want for them.

Bret

I peeled off the laminate because it was coming off. The damage is about 6 in from the top on the right side. It is about the size of half a nickel. This damage occured when these speaker were origionally shipped back in the 70's and the veneere has not peeled. They were owned by my father until he recently gave them to me. They were powered by a Pioneer 200 watt amp and were never used a whole lot. I live in Texas. Shipping is a problem but I am willing to work with you. There just is not an easy way to ship these heavy speakers. Let me get you the pics and you can judge for yourself. As far as price goes I can not find anything on ebay or other site that would give me an estimate on AR 90's. I noticed AR 9's on ebay for $500 but if I remember correctly those were monstreously sized and had the 12 in woofers. If you were to compare cosmetics with that auction I would say that my screens are in better shape, but my cabinets do have a few more cosmetic flaws. Feel free to make an offer as I am still trying to asses the value of these speakers. I would also like to have the pics available soon.

Robert

>I can not find anything on ebay or other site that would give me an estimate on AR 90's. <

A friend who has access to a "blue book" (of sorts) was only able to find one sale of one pair. They sold for $340.00. We don't know what kind of shape they were in, of course.

I'm not suggesting you ask me for that much! ;-) I was just giving you all the information I have. Pure speculation on my part, but I was thinking that a pair in perfect condition might bring $400-500, but that's total guesswork.

I guess they are worth whatever you can negotiate. I'd be willing to give them a good home but I might want them cheaper than you are willing to part with them. I should think that most people after a pair of 9-Series would be looking for 9s themselves.

Since finding these pages I've got a new obsession. Tom has such a nice collection of real, true, vintage AR speakers I was thinking: "Yeah, but who is going to house the "Teledyne Years" collection?" Problem is I've just bought 17s and have a bid in on some 92s and I haven't finished rebuilding my 9s yet. And I'm negotiating to "save" some 10pi cabinets someone's parting-out although, they too, have veneer damage.

My wife is not thrilled. I may have to stash some at my parents' home. My dad would be thrilled, my mother might turn homicidal.

Bret

>Looking for a pair of surrounds for the 9's now are we?<

Moi? :-)

Nah. The 9s are going in a room where Home Theater is anathema. Just music. I need to have somewhere to close my eyes and listen to Boccelli or Perlman (sp?) and drift off to that semi-hypnotic state.

The Home Theater room might get the 92s I've bid on, if I win them, which I very well might not. Or my dad might get those in his TV room.

The kids are going to get 17s and some 14s, 12s, something I can pick-up inexpensively if any come-up for sale, and I think a pair of rebuilt 10pis are going to inhabit the bedroom. (I have been seriously impressed with those of that friend of mine).

I was thinking it might be nice to own the entire "9" lineup. I don't collect anything else and really haven't had a hobby in years.

But my buying-power has just about dried-up this go-'round. Any other acquisitions may have to wait a while while I get to work on earning some speaker-buying money.

Bret

• 2 weeks later...

Robert,

An auction on E-bay for a pair of "mint" AR90s just concluded. The high bid was $405.00 and the "reserve" had not been met. Evidently the seller will be keeping his.

So now we have two data-points - Someone was willing to part with a pair for $340 in unknown condition and someone else was not willing to part with a pair in "mint" (but in need of surrounds) for $405.

Thought that might help you determine the value of yours.

Bret

• 10 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest Brian_D

I'm in need of on upper mid, one lower mid and one tweeter, along with a Crossover... that's why I'm looking for just one speaker.

Those upper mids are hard to come by these days, I wonder how different they are from the 3a midrange, I see lots of those out there.

-Brian

>Those upper mids are hard to come by these days, I wonder how different they are from the 3a midrange, I see lots of those out there.<

I would say, "Considerably different." I would think the currently available replacement drivers would be closer. 1-200044-1 I think is the number.

Looks like tweeters are going to be getting in ever shorter supply as well. This could get ugly.

Bret

Guest Brian_D

I wonder how the replacements sound. At this point I would be happy with replacements as long as their timbre was similar to the originals. The center (for which I need these drivers) will be hidden behind the projection screen so it's not important that they look the same... I'll have to check out the website and see what the cost would be.

What's crazy is the cost of crossover parts! I figured it up and with average quality components from Parts Express I ended up with over $145 per crossover... Good thing I only need one!

-Brian

Brian,

I agre with Bret.

I don’t recommend using a 3a mid range in the AR9. The midrange is beefed up considerably to withstand the power handling capability of the AR9. High temp adhesives and materials are used to keep it together and it is ferrofluid cooled, like the tweeters. Put a 3a midrange in your AR9 and it may melt or you may catch it on fire.

Rich Laski

>I wonder how the replacements sound.<

They sound fine. Nothing wrong with them at all. They are the ones out of an AR-58 I think I've read. BUT, I think they may be more efficient than the 9s' are. Or something.

I've got an idea - one of us needs to call AB Tech and see what they are "currently" recommending for replacements.

I had a pair in my 9s for a while (goofing-off) and I had to turn them down. I don't know how they match-up impedance-wise.

I'll bet Tom could tell you. Or Nigel. Maybe Steve, even.

By the way - looks like some of these old drivers are somehow or other still available in Europe. Maybe we ought to rent a cargo plane and clean 'em out.

Bret

>>They sound fine. Nothing wrong with them at all. They are the ones out of an AR-58 I think I've read. BUT, I think they may be more efficient than the 9s' are. Or something.<<

Bret,

The replacement upper-midranges you are talking about, are the part numbers (PN) the same as the original AR9 upper-midrange?

From what I've seen in pictures, the AR58s upper-midrange had a black semihorn the AR9, AR90, AR91 all had silver semihorns. Specs in the owner's manual for the AR58s - on Classic Speaker Pages - say its liquid cooled, like the AR9X upper midranges. Just curious if there was a PN difference as well.

Rich Laski

Happy Holidays Everyone!

>The replacement upper-midranges you are talking about, are the part numbers (PN) the same as the original AR9 upper-midrange?<

No. It is not the same part number, it isn't even the right speaker!

But it's closer than a 3a midrange.

Bret

Hi,

I have a pair of AR90s for sale. The cabinets and grills are in near perfect condition. I have the original boxes(1 box missing top packing material). The speakers have not been used in a few years, and the speakers will need to be refoamed. I have pictures, if anyone is interested.

Happy Holidays

Howard

Howard,

I suspect that several people here would be interested in a pair of AR-90s for sale.

Obviously we'd need to know a price as well as a general description of where you are (for shipping or pick-up purposes).

Bret

My location is Central NJ. The person with the Best Offer on Jan 15th is the winner. 25% deposit by mail(due in 7 days), and the remainder due at local pick-up(14 days). If not satified with the speakers at pick-up, I will refund the deposit.

Regards,

Howard

>Hi,

>

>I have a pair of AR90s for sale. The cabinets and grills are

>in near perfect condition. I have the original boxes(1 box

>missing top packing material). The speakers have not been

>used in a few years, and the speakers will need to be

>refoamed. I have pictures, if anyone is interested.

>

>Happy Holidays

>

>Howard

>

Archived