Cizek Model 1 woofer substitute

Guest bilboda

Guest bilboda

I spotted an ad on a Craiglist for an amplifier/tuner combo and some free speakers. I inquired and found the amplifier was too small but the speakers were Cizeks and free! I went and picked them up. They sounded ok when the fellow played them in his garage and despite their beat up appearance the woofers looked new!

Well, it turns out the woofers are from Radio Shack and not to good of a physical fit either. So I was wondering, what would be good replacement woofers?

The woofers crossover at 1500 hz, are apparently very fast and have a flat impedance curve, and probably a flat response curve as well. They were never known for their low low bass.

I have seen paolo's reference to a Monacor woofer but I was hoping to get some in the USA and at a reasonable price. I realize Seas and Scanspeak are good but way too much $$. Anyone have any experience with drop in replcements for the model 1's. The tweeter's fine and I'd like to use them with the existing crossover.

>I spotted an ad on a Craiglist for an amplifier/tuner combo

>and some free speakers. I inquired and found the amplifier was

>too small but the speakers were Cizeks and free! I went and

>picked them up. They sounded ok when the fellow played them in

>his garage and despite their beat up appearance the woofers

>looked new!

> Well, it turns out the woofers are from Radio Shack and not

>to good of a physical fit either. So I was wondering, what

>would be good replacement woofers?

> The woofers crossover at 1500 hz, are apparently very fast

>and have a flat impedance curve, and probably a flat response

>curve as well. They were never known for their low low bass.

>I have seen paolo's reference to a Monacor woofer but I was

>hoping to get some in the USA and at a reasonable price. I

>realize Seas and Scanspeak are good but way too much $$.

>Anyone have any experience with drop in replcements for the

>model 1's. The tweeter's fine and I'd like to use them with

>the existing crossover.

Good luck with your search. I've worked on original model 1 woofers and learned they are very special and were manufactured by Cizek. Trying to find something may be darn near impossible. Unless, of course, you can find some originals on ebay. Originals look similar to old AR woofers of early vintage. They have a flat, felt dust cap and an added mass ring glued about 1/2 way up the side of the cone. Cizek's literature for the model one says box resonance is 38 hz. AR3a is about 40. Not too bad.

It's all about the music

Carl

Carl's Custom Loudspeakers

Guest bilboda

Thanks for your input. I researched the AR3A a bit and see they are 11 1/2" woofers. The AR2A are 10" woofers. Physically, wouldn't that be a better fit? At any rate, I've read of high prices for these speakers on the bay although there is currently a pair of ar2ax's for sale

Guest bilboda

Sent to info@hiend.it:

Hello,

I am interested in your Cizek speakers. I was told by paolippe at the Classic Speaker Pages forum that you had them for sale. I live in the U.S. Are they still for sale?

Clark

Google translation

Ciao, Sono interessato nei vostri altoparlanti di Cizek. Mi sono detto a da paolippe alla tribuna delle classicspeakerpages.net che li aveste per la vendita. Vivo negli Stati Uniti. Sono alambicco da vendere?

Clark

How's my Italian?

• 2 months later...

I read Paolo's suggestion of a Monacor SPH-255 as a replacement for a Cizek Model One Woofer.

I need one woofer for a Model One-- I just picked up a second pair and one woofer is a Speco 10 inch.

I've contacted Monacor to find out how to get the SPH-255 in the US.

Archived