Just picked up Model 1's for $10 ! ! ! NEED HELP !

Guest Ralphie

Guest Ralphie

Hi! Picked up a pair of Model 1's from AMVETS for $10. Was very happy to find that the cones were recently re-foamed but dismayed upon seeing both wire terminals broken off at wood level on one of the speakers. Both speakers tested out well and sound gooood.

Problem one is that I don't know what to do about the tattered foam grills. Should I just chuck 'em or is does someone have an idea on restoration or replacement?

Problem two are the broken terminals. Can someone tell me how best to remove the terminal shafts without causing too much damage to the wood. Should I remove the woofer to gain interior access and attempt getting the broken terminals out or is there baffling that will prohibit this?

Problem three is I can't find any info regarding the selection knobs on the back and what the 1 - 6 switch is for. Please help!

Problem four is that I have limited space for all of the components/speakers I own so I must be selective regarding the stuff that will be adopted. Today was my intro into the world of Cizeks and I only bought them because they looked promising (potentially valuable). Can anyone tell me what they are worth (I can't seem to find any values online)?

Thanks for any and all help; Ralph

>Hi! Picked up a pair of Model 1's from AMVETS for $10. Was

>very happy to find that the cones were recently re-foamed but

>dismayed upon seeing both wire terminals broken off at wood

>level on one of the speakers. Both speakers tested out well

>and sound gooood.

Do not worry for the terminals... You are a lucky man!

>

>Problem one is that I don't know what to do about the tattered

>foam grills. Should I just chuck 'em or is does someone have

>an idea on restoration or replacement?

The foam grills are completely transparent to sound. Thus you can use them or not; it's quite the same thing

>

>Problem two are the broken terminals. Can someone tell me how

>best to remove the terminal shafts without causing too much

>damage to the wood. Should I remove the woofer to gain

>interior access and attempt getting the broken terminals out

>or is there baffling that will prohibit this?

I do not know the internal of the CIZEK one; I never had the need to open them.

However, try to restore the terminals without removing the woofer, also because the internal fibreglass are toxic for skin and inalation. I should try to join with tin the remaining terminals with some metal or join directly the cable to the remaining terminals.

>

>Problem three is I can't find any info regarding the selection

>knobs on the back and what the 1 - 6 switch is for. Please

>help!

>

My CIZEK one have no knob on the back, but it's in front of the baffle; this switch is able to choose the value of the Q of the woofer: if you chose 0.6 you have more efficient speaker with bounded basses while if you choose Q=1 you have more basses and less efficiency. I prefer the 0.6 position, anyway.

>Problem four is that I have limited space for all of the

>components/speakers I own so I must be selective regarding the

>stuff that will be adopted. Today was my intro into the world

>of Cizeks and I only bought them because they looked promising

>(potentially valuable). Can anyone tell me what they are

>worth (I can't seem to find any values online)?

>

The CIZEK one are considered by many listeners, the BEST 2-way speaker system ever produced. I hope you will enjoy these amazing loudspeakers.

>Thanks for any and all help; Ralph

ALL THE BEST TO ALL CIZEK LOVERS

Paolo

>Hi! Picked up a pair of Model 1's from AMVETS for $10. Was

>very happy to find that the cones were recently re-foamed but

>dismayed upon seeing both wire terminals broken off at wood

>level on one of the speakers. Both speakers tested out well

>and sound gooood.

>

>Problem one is that I don't know what to do about the tattered

>foam grills. Should I just chuck 'em or is does someone have

>an idea on restoration or replacement?

I made frames out of square Poplar dowels, rounded the corners with a router and painted them black, then stretched black cloth over them.

>

>Problem two are the broken terminals. Can someone tell me how

>best to remove the terminal shafts without causing too much

>damage to the wood. Should I remove the woofer to gain

>interior access and attempt getting the broken terminals out

>or is there baffling that will prohibit this?

>

You'll probably need to remove the woofer and insulation to replace the broken post. I don't know if you could get solder to stick to the remaining metal. I'd pick up two sets of good quality 5-way binding posts and replace them all. (Wear gloves and a mask when handling the fiberglass)

>Problem three is I can't find any info regarding the selection

>knobs on the back and what the 1 - 6 switch is for. Please

>help!

The switch is the 'Q' switch. It has the effect of changing the volume of the enclosure, and changing the bass response, as described by paolippe. The two knobs adjust the values of the crossover.

>

>Problem four is that I have limited space for all of the

>components/speakers I own so I must be selective regarding the

>stuff that will be adopted. Today was my intro into the world

>of Cizeks and I only bought them because they looked promising

>(potentially valuable). Can anyone tell me what they are

>worth (I can't seem to find any values online)?

I guess the value depends on the condition of the speakers. Model Ones are somewhat rare these days, but If I had to guess, I'd say $100 - $200 for a pair, depending on condition.

You got a great speaker for $10, that's for sure. I'd be selecting what I would get rid of in order to keep them !

IMHO, the Model One is one of the best 2-ways ever made.

If you keep these speakers, consider fusing them-- There is no replacement for the woofer, as it was made by Cizek.

>

>Thanks for any and all help; Ralph

Guest Ralphie

Thx for the info. My goal is to do a complete restoration which (fortunately for me) only requires light sanding, refinishing, new posts, and grill work (they look cool naked but I like the polished look of foam grills). I only wish I could get the grillwork to look like the reverse side of the originals (that very cool crop circle design meant to accommodate the cone protrusions). Hmmm . . Perhaps a nicely finished 2" deep frame that I can pinch the edges of the original grill into showing the crop circles reversed . . YEA !!!!

As a note to anyone with similar concerns;

Regarding the posts--half-assed isn't my style so I would have to go with removing the woofers (done), removing a very very tuff plastic glop of dampener stuff put on the terminal rears, unscrewing the nuts holding the terminals in, and replacing them with gold posts.

Thank you for your helpful words,

Ralph

Archived