EPI 100V's Acting Up!

ToastedAlmond

I have a couple pair of these recently acquired. One pair needs woof surrounds, but almost sound fine as is. The OTHER pair, are freaky. One surround is good, but the other is trashola. This woofer rattles back and forth with NO INPUT! I can take the balance control and set it way to the other side, the tweeter on the speaker is dead silent, but that woof is rattling away. When I center the balance knob, the tweeter on the affected speaker comes to life, and the rattling just rattles on. None of the other three exhibit this behavior, even the other two that have the surrounds trashed. The one with the good surround sounds just fine. Any clues as to why this thing is doing this rattling with no input. The same receiver was used to test both pair of speakers, about 2 1/2 minutes apart.

George

I don't know if I can help you but i'm looking at a gutted epi 120B right now and there is not much of a crossover in them the cabinet is trashed and the tweet gone but the woofer is good, already cleaned and ready for a foam job. but no need to do it the other speakers is probably just as bad we have not found it at my friends house yet.

the coil could have gotten welded to the core yet enough coduction still to make it wable back and forth. Does it move in and out when you push on the cone.

jim

RoundSound,

Thanks for the response. Yes, the woofer moves back and forth when pressed on. I'm going to play with it a little more tonight, and see if I can't find out what's going on there. Also plan on swapping out the freak woof, with one of the others that needs surrounds, and see if the replacement does the same thing. If it does, I'll know the problem is upstream, and not with the woof.

Maybe it would clear things up for others willing to try and help if I said it was the woofer that needs a surround that is freaky, and not the one that has an intact surround.

George

If any of the parts I have will work you can have them but there is only a switch and a couple of caps in my crossover if the woofer is the same and yours is bad this one can be refoamed the part # is 0121 jan 4 1979 some times a tank circuits will go bad and osolate I'm a tech but on big stuff radar and weapons systems.

JIm

Archived