Allison 3 refoam project

Guest wdug

I bought a pair of Allison 3’s that need new surrounds a while ago, but just got around to attempt the refoam job the other day. I started to remove the first woofer and heard a thud inside the cabinet as I unscrewed what I had assumed to be a wood screw. I now realize the woofers are attached by bolts, and there is some fancy close-ended "nut" on the inside. It's now loose inside the cabinet. I am hopeful I'll be able to fish it out through the gap between the cone and the frame of the woofer.

That's assuming that the correct refoaming procedure for Allison 3's is to leave the woofers in place, attached to the cabinet. Or do you remove the woofers to refoam, and then replace the bolt/washer/"nut" assemblies with wood screws? Or am I missing something and there's some other way to do the job? Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

-Dug

>I bought a pair of Allison 3’s that need new surrounds a

>while ago, but just got around to attempt the refoam job the

>other day. I started to remove the first woofer and heard a

>thud inside the cabinet as I unscrewed what I had assumed to

>be a wood screw. I now realize the woofers are attached by

>bolts, and there is some fancy close-ended "nut" on

>the inside. It's now loose inside the cabinet. I am hopeful

>I'll be able to fish it out through the gap between the cone

>and the frame of the woofer.

Hi Dug,

The Allison 3 woofer is held in to the cabinet by 4 machine screws, washers and "T" nuts that snug into the wood on the inside of the cab. If the screw spins without coming out then the "T" nut has stripped enough wood out on the inside to just spin. To get them undone, gently pull out on the screw by inserting a flat head behind the head while unscrewing it to keep the remaining "T" nuts in place.

>That's assuming that the correct refoaming procedure for

>Allison 3's is to leave the woofers in place........

Nope. the woofers HAVE to come out to be refoamed.

If you do not already have a refoam kit for the 10" woofers you can get one from http://www.simplyspeakers.com or check out

"Allison" on ebay under consumer electronics for one.

If you get cold feet you can send them to simply and they will do it professionally for a reasonable price. I and a number of other Allison fans have used them with fine results.

Regards,

Bill

• 4 weeks later...

>If you do not already have a refoam kit for the 10"

>woofers you can get one from http://www.simplyspeakers.com or

>check out

>"Allison" on ebay under consumer electronics for

>one.

I beg to differ.... I have found the SS kits inadequate--no shims, no dust caps and their glue is like contact cement. They are also not too helpful.

I'm about to refoam my 3rd set of Allison: Fours and would highly recommend MSound

http://www.citlink.net/~msound/

He provides EVERYTHING you need--right down to sandpaper and alcohol wipes! Go to the website and have a look at his very complete directions.

If you decide to pay someone else to do it, there has been universal praise for Bill LeGall at MillerSound.

just my 2 cents worth...

Kent

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone have info on the crossover?

Is the model 3 basically the same as the 2 with the exception there is only 1 tweeter, mid and woofer in each cabinet instead of 2?

The library has a schematic for the models 1 and 2 so I can go from there if the 3 is basically the same except only 1 of each driver.

Help!

It's all about the music

Carl

Carl's Custom Loudspeakers

• 2 weeks later...

I have found the SS kits inadequate--no

>shims, no dust caps and their glue is like contact cement.

>They are also not too helpful.

Hi Kent,

Clearly you have a good deal more hands on experience with refoaming than I.

If I were to attempt a do it yourself refoam job again I would consider the MSound kit over simply speakers kits. I only pass on the Simply Speaker link because quite a few other members have had satisfactory results. I would also say this is not the first time I've heard bad things about the Simply glue with setup time.

My actual experience with Simply Speakers was a repair of a dead 10" woofer I sent to them before I knew about Miller Sound. (Bill Legall). It came back perfect, fast and reasonably priced.

I originally found out about Simply Speakers from Howard Ferstler who had sent his 4 IC-20 woofers out to them for professional refoaming. Now I know Howard wants it done right and he was totally satisfied with the job they did for him.

Bill Legall re-centered a midrange unit for me last year. He was the best by far to deal with and the fastest. 1 week turnaround.

BILL

Archived