Allison Seven Speakers

Guest dos1943

Guest dos1943

I have a pair of Seven's in good condition I would be willing to part with. They are walnut. Top grille on one has a one inch seperation on the circumference but is not noticeable. Front grille on the same one has a small imperfection hardly noticeable. Wood is in very good condition with some small marks near the floor from vaccuum use. Speakers are intact , cases have never been opened.

I can send photos if requested. Dont want to put these on ebay to

someone who wont appreciate them.

>I have a pair of Seven's in good condition I would be willing

>to part with. They are walnut. Top grille on one has a one

>inch seperation on the circumference but is not noticeable.

>Front grille on the same one has a small imperfection hardly

>noticeable. Wood is in very good condition with some small

>marks near the floor from vaccuum use. Speakers are intact ,

>cases have never been opened.

>I can send photos if requested.

Dont want to put these on

>ebay to

>someone who wont appreciate them.

Believe me, this is not so!

I know from experience the most passionate of Allison "nuts" are looking constantly on Ebay for complete systems and parts. It's the place to be for a successful Allison sale. The seven has an eight inch woofer and two way tweeter that can be used in many other allison systems, so parting them out may even fetch you more dough than selling them whole. If the grills are as good as you say they might fetch a nice price alone.

I respect your viewpoint, but I would advise keeping an open mind to Ebay as an avenue.

• 4 weeks later...

>parting them out may even fetch you more dough than selling

>them whole. If the grills are as good as you say they might

>fetch a nice price alone.

AAAARGH!

This is a pet peeve of mine and I'm sure some will strongly disagree, but.... I HATE to see perfectly good classic speakers "parted" out to maximize profit. It's just sad. The remaining classics are being canibalized--soon they'll all be gone.

Guest Baffle

>>parting them out may even fetch you more dough than

>selling

>>them whole. If the grills are as good as you say they

>might

>>fetch a nice price alone.

>

>AAAARGH!

>This is a pet peeve of mine and I'm sure some will strongly

>disagree, but.... I HATE to see perfectly good classic

>speakers "parted" out to maximize profit. It's just

>sad. The remaining classics are being canibalized--soon

>they'll all be gone.

Hello Kent,

Oh no no....they will never be all gone.

The reality is Allison Acoustics is "Dead" so the quest for parts will do nothing but heat up during the coming years. Is it not better that some folks give up speakers and parts to those of us who have the passion so we can keep ours in pristine shape?

Thanks to the power of the internet, there will be more classic speakers alive and kicking simply because it's easier for buyers and sellers to communicate with each other.

My Allison:One's are 31 years "new" and I have been collecting spare parts over the years to make sure they stay that way. Same thing with the six other Allison systems I own.

I find it more sad to see some of these Ebay photos of what were once beautiful systems looking like they fell off the back of a truck with hunks of venieer missing and domes pushed in etc. all the stuff that makes people like us cringe.

Regards,

Bill

Hi Bill

You do make a point. I'm in the process of preparing an Allison: Four to sell on ebay, and I replaced the tweeters with Allison tweets that someone "parted" and offered on ebay, so I guess I benefit from the practice. I just hate to see nice old speakers offered with the comment "I will send just the drivers if you want." And what happens to the cabinets?

Anyway, I'll soon have three (3) Fours for sale, and will start work on a pair of Sixes. It's an obsession

Kent

Guest Baffle

>Hi Bill

>You do make a point. I'm in the process of preparing an

>Allison: Four to sell on ebay, and I replaced the tweeters

>with Allison tweets that someone "parted" and

>offered on ebay, so I guess I benefit from the practice. I

>just hate to see nice old speakers offered with the comment

>"I will send just the drivers if you want." And what

>happens to the cabinets?

Hi Kent,

I know, it would be nice if the early cabinets were easier to restore. The combination fiberboard and venier makes them a tough chore to refinish. and the odd shapes and fragile grills make them hard to ship (and expensive) without further damage. I'm sure that is why it's easier to say goodbye to the cabs. sometimes and just sell the drivers. I have bid on a few complete systems that were within my driving range so I could get the whole deal.

>Anyway, I'll soon have three (3) Fours for sale, and will

>start work on a pair of Sixes. It's an obsession.

So you are buying, restoring and selling whole systems; is that right?

Regards,

Bill

>So you are buying, restoring and selling whole systems; is

>that right?

yes. I just got a pair of Sixes and am trying to decide whether to strip off the vinyl and apply new veneer.

Kent

Archived