Advents + Yamaha CR640

Guest Kasra

Guest Kasra

Well, my pioneer was clipping at 50% volume, and it killed a tweeter, so I returned it.

En route now hopefully is a CR640. It's 40wpc. Should I expect a good match?

40 watts should drive them to pretty good levels. I wouldn't overdo it though. My Heathkit -29 amps get them pretty loud at 35 (really 50) watts.

You can tell if you're taxing the amps as the woofers actually start sounding like they are bottoming out when it's really the amps clipping.

Of course, you will have to get more amps and Advents to begin stacking :^)

It's interesting that we have a CR640 at work as the shop receiver. It is driving a pair of old University 12 inchers sitting naked on a shelf. I keep telling the guys that we should mount the speakers in the wall.

Doug

Actually, I was being a bit jocular with my more amps and Advents comment alluding to the almost irresistable temptation to have at least two pair on a side that a lot of us have experienced.

The Yamaha should be able to handle a 4 ohm load fine.

However, I think that solid state amps control the signal better going into an 8 ohm load. The damping factor is higher and, so, will control the woofer and, hence, the bass better. There is less tendency for the bass to get "flabby."

I currently have a triple Advent stack and have three amps, one for each pair.

Doug

Archived