Large Advents??

draftingmonkey

I am trying to find out if I indeed purchased a pair of "Large Advent" speakers. The boxes and grills are almost immaculate but as you can see the woofers need to be refoamed. It looks as if I probably will need to replace the caps from what I have been following on the forum.

These have the masonite ring around the woofer, and the silver lettered, silver edged, black Advent badges. The ser #'s are U112744 and U127279.

Thanks for the looksee.

James

BTW $30,local sale. Fair price I assume?

post-101227-1138234311.jpg

post-5-1138234311.jpg

Guest speaker freak

YES THAY ARE THE LARGE ONES.I just pick up a pair this fall they were on the curb for garbage in the process of doing the surrounds on them now.Good luck on yours.

All done and sounding great. Spent the evening/night deciding where I wanted to run these. In the end...

I sold a pair of Tecnics SB-A51's to a young fellow at work. Nice looking speaker with the grills off, 3 way, twin port design and he liked the sound. I picked them up free, thrown in with a Marantz 170DC/3250/2100 setup. Didn't really want them but they looked nice and I figured what the hey.

So $50 later for the speakers and on the way home I come across a Pioneer SX-980 in virtually pristine condition. There went the $50 but it was worth it.

...I decided to replace the Dynaco ST-120/Pat-4/QD-1 setup running 4 AR-3a's and hooked up the Pioneer in its place. The Advents are doing service for my rears/sides and a pair of Sansui SP-1000's a doing front service. Nice combo (for now). Love the bass response of the Advents and works great for movies (part of my last night duty checking that out).

Alright James! Another resurrected pair of Advents!

Now you just need another pair so you can run them stacked.

I tried to resist but now I have two pairs of utilities and one pair of Walnuts. And I am half looking for another pair of Walnuts. Just want to see what stacked Walnuts look like. Crazy huh?

Right now I'm playing Rod Stewart's "(I know) I'm Losing You". The drums sound amazing from the Advents. I continue to be amazed by them.

Re the SX-980: Some people have all the luck.

Doug

Guest russwollman

When last I looked, I had eight (8) Advent speakers:

—a pair of Smaller Advents I reveneered in white birch, with new tweeters, woofer surrounds, and poly caps. I also made some neat stands for them;

—a pair of 5012s (from the Jensen era) which use the same drivers as the Advent Loudspeaker, without the hi-freq control and with a slightly different xover, in a cabinet that resembles the A4 (rounded molding in front) but is slightly larger. They sound just like Advent's Advent;

—and I have 4 A4's for the double Advent setup, with new tweeters and poly caps.

'Way too much stuff.

I'm not using the 5012s now,so if anyone wants them, give a shout.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Dino1956

I also have these large Advents and was wondering how to refoam my Woofers. What is the process and what does the kit cost for 2 speakers ? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

>

>'Way too much stuff.

>

>I'm not using the 5012s now,so if anyone wants them, give a

>shout.

I could give them a good home, if you are close enough to NJ that I can pick them up. How much would you want for them?

(Please excuse the brief post, I'm down with the flu y'know?)

Hey Dino,

I usually buy from

http://www.speakerworks.net/

$19.95 + shipping. Usually get kit within 3-5 days. They also have an informative video you can download showing the refoaming process.

One thing though, I refoamed 3-4 pair of speakers (top mount) before refoaming the Advents which mount the foam surround on the under side of the masonite ring. The practice of doing the top mounted ones first helped me when doing the Advents. At least it helped me (of course I may be a little slow in the head).

Good luck

James

Guest Dino1956

James,

Thanks for the info. Although I'm not quite sure as to what you mean because I've never refoamed a Speaker before. Sorry, I'm really new at all this. I have the large Advents with the Metal ring around the 10" Woofer. Thanks again.

Dino

Guest Dino1956

Question: Did you ever finish YOUR large Advent refoaming ? I'm curious to know if you glued the Foam directly onto the outer Metal Ring and how that works out. Thanks.

Archived