Foam glue

Guest igloo

I have read that rssounds.com has the best fitting surrounds for the large "the advent loudspeaker". But these are not a kit..just the foam. What kind of glue would I use?

Should I just buy the kit from parts express and make do?

This will be my first refoam, any help would be great.

I have some jbls that have cloth surrounds...how do these two materials compare?

Guest Robert M

I received my foam from rssound last week for the larger advent. It is a perfect fit. I believe he trims the inner and outer edge himself, those edges looked a little rough. Also, the foam itself is very thin, thinner than any other surround I have seen. Many people believe this is the perfect fit and type for the LA. I have not seen the PE kit for comparison, so I can't say if theirs is the real deal, but I am sure it will work. You do not need the dust covers PE provides, don't cut them out, the Advent woofers can be centered manually or use a D battery connected to the leads which will push up and center the cone. You can also use a test tone CD. Aileen's craft glue is perfectly acceptable, spread it and let it set for a few minutes to get tacky and then install the surround. Easiest is to stick it onto the front of the cone, rather than the rear, especially if it is your first time. The outer edge should be glued exactly as it was (I know it is from the front on the metal new advent woofer, not sure about the other) after the inner edge has dried. Go to Decware.com they have a good tutorial on foam install, skip the dustcap cutout, though, not necessary. TAKE YOUR TIME and GOOD LUCK.

Archived