KLH 17 logo question

JKent

Just bought a pair of Seventeens. The grille cloth is original, I believe, but the logos are missing. Did these have the cast metal screw-back emblems like the Fives, or the painted sheet metal stick-on plates like the Twenties? Thanks for any help

Kent

btw--part of my restoration will be a crossover rebuild. Looks like at least one cap blew up! (second attachment)

i've seen two different pairs of 17's up close and personal and neither had badges. one of them was reportedly completely intact per the original owner. thats not to say they didnt come with badges, i've just not seen them.

Thanks dingus. I tried searching ebay and found someone who "parted out" a pair of Seventeens about a week before I bought mine. Anyway, the KLH logos shown in the auction are the sheet metal stick-on type, so that's what I'll look for.

Guess the stick-ons were easily unstuck and lost

What do you suppose happened to that cap? Did it really blow up?

Kent

Most of the Model Seventeens I've seen had the die cast badges with screw mounting. If your pair had badges, there should be evidence of a screw hole in grill cloth and the baffle board. It's the Model Twenty that had no badges. I'm not sure how long the Seventeens stayed in production, but in 1968 KLH changed the badges to the glue on sheet aluminum type.

Andy

Guest matty g

Just thought I'd add my two cents here -

I had a pair of Seventeen's that I thought were newer (I guess they weren't) with screw in badges. The grill boards were held in with velcro, but they couldn't be removed until the badges were removed. This was because the badge screw went through the grill board and into the baffleboard. I'll bet that many of those earlier badges were destroyed when people who were used to peeling of the grill board on the Model Twenty systems tried to peel of the Model Seventeen grill board without removing the badge (as I almost did!).

Matt

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
i have a pair with serial# 131230/131237

both grill cloths have been recovered with light beige over the original

dark colored cloth,

the badges are glued on near the bottom left corner

fyi

i just pickup another pair model 17s,

this pair has the heavy metal plate badge with the screw,

all the best regards

post-102652-1203049282.jpg