Model Twenty Phono Cartridge

Guest bruhl

Guest bruhl

My literature says that the Model Twenty uses a Pickering V-15 cartridge. Is a magnetic type with diamond stylus. Uses a 15 Degree vertical tracking angle.

Is anyone familiar with a replacement if one is needed?

Thanks

Bruhl

Guest bruhl

Thanks, jkent.

No I haven't tried that to any great degree for this item. I'll keep an eye open for something.

Thanks again for the suggestion.

Bruhl

I looked yesterday and there were several carts and styli offered. Let us know how this works out!

Kent

• 2 weeks later...
Guest matty g

Hi -

That changer uses a Pickering V-15 AT (automatic turntable) series cartridge, but it has a special adapter for clip mounting into the custom made KLH headshell. The cartridge usually doesn't need to be replaced unless a channel goes dead and the wiring isn't at fault (very rarely the case). Pickering/Stanton still has those styli available, but knockoffs are cheaper. The original stylus is a conical tip, I believe it is a DAT 2 stylus, but an elliptical stylus can be substituted (DATE 4) for better high frequency response and less record wear. The tracking force on the arm can then be lowered to below 2.5 grams (ouch!) and still track quite nicely. Another alternative is to drop in an SL-65 or similar changer with a removable headshell that accepts any standard 1/2" mount cartridge. Some of the later versions of those changers even offer anti-skate capability for less record wear and less outer groove distortion caused by tracking error.

Matt

Guest bruhl

Hi Matt,

The information that you have matty g is invaluable. Thank you so much for sharing that with me and others who have these wonderful vintage systems.

I think I will track down a styli while I can for future use.

Would you clarify what is meant by dropping in an SL-65 changer? Do you mean swap out the entire changer TT unit?

If I were to do that, are they available new, or on the bay?

Thanks again, Matt.

Bruhl

Guest matty g

Hi Bruhl -

It would be wise to buy a new stylus for your Pickering cartridge as a spare. A good source for that would be lpgear.com or needledoctor.com just to name two (there are many replacement needle sites out there, but those two have a great reputation).

Garrard, in the sixties, made two sizes of automatic turntables (or changers). The smaller sizes (like the model 3000 in the early KLH phono systems) were made in various models up to the SL 65. The SL75 up to the Zero 100 were the larger models. The smaller size changers are interchangeable, so one can upgrade from a Garrard 3000 changer to an SL65 without any trouble. The power connection plug fits right up and the phono plug board is the same, so it's literally a drop in replacement. The only drawback is that now you don't have the original KLH changer in there. However, if you are going to be using it to play your good records, you may want an arm with slightly better geometry and the ability to change cartridges. The amp and the speakers associated with that unit are quite worthy of an upgraded turntable, and they are out there on e-bay (search Garrard Turntable).

I know that in the '70's Garrard was making a new series of changer with a better arm, damped cueing and a quieter drive. That series had the same deck size as the SL65 (I think the lowest model was the 440ml?) so there are slightly newer models out there that will fit. However, if you are satisfied with your changer now and all it needs is a stylus, there is nothing wrong with the KLH spec changer. I believe that changer has a synchro-lab motor in it as well.

Hope this helps

Matt

Archived