Where to get knobs? Need info on Criterion radio

JKent

This isn't exactly a "speaker" question, and not exactly "KLH." Guess I'm WAY off topic, but I thought someone here might be able to help.

I bought a Lafayette Criterion IV radio on ebay. It looks like it could have been a KLH--vernier dial. Even the knobs look like KLH. Anyone know for sure? It's described on this web site as a "descendent" of the KLH Eight, an attempt to "cash in on" the success of KLH:

http://www.somerset.net/arm/fm_only_klh_8.html

Here's my REAL question: The on/off volume pot was obviously replaced, and the new one has a solid 1/4" shaft, so it won't take the stock push-on knobs. (and the original knob is missing). Any idea where I could get 3 ivory knobs with set-screws that would look right?

Thanks for any help.

Kent

Guest matty g

Hi -

I'm looking through my junk drawers to see if I can find any ivory, so far only silver. The 1969 Consumer Reports book I've got here rates the Lafayette Criterion IV (cat no. 3525w) as having better sound than the KLH Tweny One, and was listed at only $69.95 without the aux. loudspeaker. It also had a line level input, pretty cool for back then. The only reason it was rated lower than the KLH was because of the tuner's inability to reject stronger stations next to weaker ones on the lower end of the scale. You just can't beat those KLH tuners! Under the Model Twenty was the Fisher 100 Microceiver with it's weird little preset tuner knobs (found one in the local stereo shop last summer - strange little unit) around $100 in 1969 dollars. Lastly the Realistic FM Concertmaster 12699 - also 69.95 - rated as sounding about as good as the Fisher and KLH, but the tuning wasn't very good at all. The KLH was $89.95 back then, and worth every penny of it. I'll keep looking through my many "junk" drawers....nice find!

Matt

thanks for the info Matt. I played it briefly when it arrived and thought it sounded great. Maybe the larger box makes a difference. I have disassembled it to do some cosmetic repairs--very minor--just a few chips tiny that are not even noticeable, and some grime on the faceplate, grille and knobs. A little Fantastc cleaner, a couple tiny veneer patches, a dab of plastic wood.should do it Today I'll give it a light sanding then apply a few coats of oil finish. The tuner section sure LOOKS like a KLH, but I found no manufacturer's name inside and the tuner section inside the box does not look exactly like my KLH 21, 21-II or 18. A mystery.

Thanks again

Kent

Archived