KLH Model Twenty Plus system

Guest matty g

Guest matty g

A rare opportunity to see what the Model Twenty Plus looked like is on ebay - item #250017776226. Very futuristic styling, sort of Danish modern styling with aluminum pedestals and a fully enclosed cabinet.

I have a question regarding the speaker system on that model. They look larger than the Twenty systems we usually see. Is that just the photo making them look larger or are they the size of the Model Sixes? Also, what's up with the connection terminal on the back? I see what appears to be an RCA jack, but then next to it I see the ground terminal used on speakers not sold with the phono systems. Can it possibly have both? I assume they are 4 ohm systems, is this correct? What an impressive rig!

Matt

The Speaker cabinets are larger being about 15" deep compared to about 9" deep on the regular Model Twenty. They have screw terminals for hook up like the Models 17, 6 etc. and are 4 ohms....what looks to you like a rca jack on the right side is the 4 ohm wire hook up, one on the left is the common ground.

This unit has been on ebay for over a month with no takers. I believe about 3,000 0f these were made, cabinet designed by industrial designer David Price, selling for $525. back in 1966.

Perfect for that mod-pad !

Andy

• 2 weeks later...

I have this set, I'm new to the forum. It has been a great help. I have a question. the speakers the (twenty plus)seem to have a problem with the tweeters they are very quiet, anyone know if this is the same problem some of the other models have? If so what is the fix? Thanks in advance. Dustin here a picture there is one stain on the left speaker cover other wise the exterior is near mint I think the cabnets are teak! very nice looking

1953.txt

1954.txt

Guest matty g

Looks even nicer than it did on ebay. I would re-cap the speakers if flipping the switch to "increase" didn't brighten the highs. There is a dual lead capacitor on the switch (2mfd per lead) and one strapped to the cabinet inside (8mfd) which have a tendancy to go bad - usually results in no tweeter action at all. Maybe they are on their way out. I've got a couple replacement tweeters, grilles and an upgrade drop in SL-65 changer for that if you need.

Nice rig!

Matt

Guest matty g

> I have this set, I'm new to the forum. It has been a great

>help. I have a question. the speakers the (twenty plus)seem to

>have a problem with the tweeters they are very quiet, anyone

>know if this is the same problem some of the other models

>have? If so what is the fix? Thanks in advance. Dustin here a

>picture there is one stain on the left speaker cover other

>wise the exterior is near mint I think the cabnets are teak!

>very nice looking

Dustin

I forgot to mention the following precautions if you are going to open the cabinets to check the crossover capacitors:

1) Be sure to save the foam ring seal that is between the driver and the cabinet as you will need to re-install this. Better yet is to install a thin bead of rope caulk in place of the foam - you are trying to achieve an air-tight seal.

2) Wear gloves, long sleeves, a dust mask, and eye protection when working in the cabinet - it's packed with unfaced fiberglass insulation.

3) Mark the wires as you remove them from the drivers. It helps to put a red dot on the positive of each one (if it's not already there).

4) Repack the insulation evenly and don't leave bare wood surfaces exposed inside the cabinet. Make sure the gauze gets put back in place behind the woofer. This keeps insulation from getting into the woofer and buzzing.

Good Luck!

Matt

P.S. I think the cabinets are oiled walnut - very nice.

This setup looks cool and I would be tempted to make an offer, but they say "everything seems to work turntable spins etc. We did not hook the speakers up"

Do you really believe they didn't hook the speakers up? Sounds like they don't want to reveal some problems.

I recently bought a KLH receiver that was described as follows:

"This item is being sold as is. We do not have a stereo on which to test it so we cannot discern its working condition. It powers on and there is nothing to suggest it won't work great".

Well, needless to say, it DIDN"T "work great." Caveat emptor!

Guest matty g

>I recently bought a KLH receiver that was described as

>follows:

>"This item is being sold as is. We do not have a stereo

>on which to test it so we cannot discern its working

>condition. It powers on and there is nothing to suggest it

>won't work great".

>Well, needless to say, it DIDN"T "work great."

>Caveat emptor!

All too true! Every time I see a Marantz 2270 or 2275 receiver on ebay I'm so tempted, but just go to classicaudio.com and read the horror stories in the "ask the tech" section. I guess if you have one that functions you'd probably be using it instead of selling it.

Matt

Thank you for the input Matt. I will be starting this project soon! I also have a set of the model six that I need to find a set of tweeters for. the cabnets are in awesome shape! I will let you know as I get going on this if I need any of the parts you mentioned. Thank you very much agian.

Dustin

Archived