The Ultimate KLH Ad !

Guest linedrive

Great ad showing most of the KLH line-up in what should be early 1968. The one which is missing, and I think is the sleeper of the KLH line is the Model Twenty Three produced 1968-72 (must have been added just after this ad). The 23 had the big woofer seen in the model 5 and 12, and was in a cabinet the same size as the model 5. It was a 2 speaker-2 way system which really put out some nice sound, I think they sold for $159.00 each. Production was relatively low and had unique cabinet design.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

“A shrug or a shudder is a “response.” So is screaming and passing out.”

Priceless! An ad that plays to our intelligence, rather than insulting it. Many thanks for the post.

Guest russwollman

I wonder what happened to that quiet, thoughtful, intelligent and articulate aesthetic in advertising?

I suppose it disappeared as more manufacturers entered the fray, making everything hotter and hotter and hotter still, until...pantpantpant...water, water...we arrived at the unbearably torrid, screaming modern world of a bewildering excess of consumer products...

In simplicity there is greater substance.

I just noticed something about the size of tweeters listed in this ad. Many forum posts through the years indicate tweeters used in various KLH models are the same (Models 5,6,17,22 + phono system models 20,24,26).

In this ad, several different sizes are listed; a 1 5/8" tweeter for Models 5 & 6. A 1 3/4" tweeter for Models 12 & 17. Finally, the Model 22 has a 2" tweeter.

To add phono system tweeter sizes from a 1970 KLH brochure, Model 20 has a 1 3/4". Models 24 & 26 has the 2" tweeter.

I don't know if all this means folks should be finding the correct tweeter or not, but I never noticed the size difference before.

• 1 month later...
Guest matty g

Hi Andy-

Good catch! For what it's worth, I've exchanged tweeters from phono system twentys,seventeens and sixes quite often and haven't noticed any difference. They all seem to have the same frame, though I never really checked the cone size. All measure a 4 ohms as well.

The only tweeters that I recall being different were the ones used on the smallest offering in the ad and the ones used in the unusual console unit (which basically were the same speaker system). Other than that, I have noticed that some are painted black and some are raw metal.

That is a fantastic ad, by the way. It really represents a time when quality and craftsmanship ruled the day. I don't think anyone will be discussing the current so-called "KLH" line. There oughta be a law!!

Matt

Archived